Internet explorer opening up for ad's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra

Baseband Member
i use the MyIE2 internet browser, and its damn good- its got a built in popup blocker that works very well, and lots of other neat stuff. anyways, whats the point of the popup blocker when i go to a site and the ad loads in a NEW internet explorer window(and i'm not even using microsofts internet explorer, i'm using MyIE2)? how can i stop this? i thought about unistalling internet explorer, but thought that might screw up MyIE2, since it uses its resources and whatnot.

Well, there is a way to disable internet explorer completely. I did this when I installed firefox cause I was sooo pissed at microsoft at discontinuing their support of the JRE!

Open up Notepad
Cut and paste the following into the empty Notepad window:

Code:
@echo off
C:
cd "\Program Files\Internet Explorer"
if not exist IEXPLORE.EXE goto End
if exist IEXPLORE.EX_ del IEXPLORE.EX_
if not exist IEXPLORE.DIR md IEXPLORE.DIR
if not exist IEXPLORE.DIR goto End
attrib -r -h -s IEXPLORE.EXE
ren IEXPLORE.EXE IEXPLORE.EX_
if exist IEXPLORE.EXE goto End
ren IEXPLORE.DIR IEXPLORE.EXE
echo IE disabled.
echo If prompted, click "Cancel" then "Yes" on File Protection restore.
echo Run enable-ie.bat to allow IE to run again.
:End

(The above code assumes your Windows XP is installed to your C:\ drive. If it
isn't, change the C: beneath @echo off to the drive letter corresponding to
whichever HDD or drive partition that you have Windows XP installed to

Now save text file this as "disable-ie.bat" to your desktop, or elsewhere.
Double click on the saved "disable-ie.bat" file.

("Windows File Protection" will most likely kick in at this point, with a warning dialog
box, saying some system files have been replaced with unrecognised versions, and
to insert your Windows XP CD to restore them. Don't worry, it's safe to ignore this.)

Now, everytime you try to open IE, all you'll get is an empty IE window. You need not
even reboot your PC for these changes to take effect. The effects are instantaneous.

If at any time, you decide you want to re-enable IE, follow these instructions to create
another batch file that reverses the changes made by the aforementioned batch file:

Code:
@echo off
C:
cd "\Program Files\Internet Explorer"
if not exist IEXPLORE.EX_ goto End
if not exist IEXPLORE.EXE goto Activate
attrib -r -h -s IEXPLORE.EXE
rd IEXPLORE.EXE
if exist IEXPLORE.EXE del IEXPLORE.EXE
:Activate
ren IEXPLORE.EX_ IEXPLORE.EXE
echo IE enabled.
:End

Save this as "enable-ie.bat" and put it in the same place as "disable-ie.bat"

As before, this assumes you have Windows XP installed on your C:\ drive. Again, if your
copy of Windows XP is not on the C:\ drive, make the same changes I explained earlier.

DISCLAIMER:
These methods for disabling (and re-enabling) IE have only been tested on Windows XP/2000. They may or
may not work on other versions of Windows, such as Windows NT/9x. If you have some other
version of Windows, feel free to try these batch files on whatever non-XP version of Windows you
currently have installed, but you do so at your own risk. I cannot take any responsibility for any
damage or data loss these batch files may cause to your installation of Windows. Whatever
version of Windows, it's advisable to backup your data before you use these batch files.

with that code, the IE window will not pop up at all, right? because right now it just pops up, but wont load ad's, because i didnt allow it access to the internet from my firewall.

lol, that's gotta get annoying. Blank pages popping up! And probably a nice error box about no internet access.

But yes, this will compeletely disable your internet explorer. Running this will squash your problem like a mosquito!

Cobra what you have is called spyware/ adware. do a forum search on adaware or spybot softwares and you should get your answers.

nah i dont have any spyware; i have ad-aware and spybot s&d, and both are updated... the popups only come up when i visit this particular website i go to. now the main problem is, my internet browser(MyIE2) crashes everytime i go to that site(it asks me if i wanna continue running scripts on the page). so i need to enable internet explorer, and the code isnt working...

Sorry, I've been gone for a bit. I just checked the code on my system (Running Win2k) at home at it works fine.

The code doesn't recover all your shortcuts and whatnot, it just restores the system files that were moved/deleted when running the first bat file.

Go into your explorer and find the exe for Internet explorer and it should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom