Power Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcr4nf

Baseband Member
I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 and when I turn it on, it almost immediately looses power and shuts down. The one time I did get it goin was just for a second and when it started up, it said that it previously shut down due to thermal event. This would lead me to believe that one of the fans is not functioning, but I do get motion in them when it powers up. The next thing to me would be the power supply. Any opinions?

I work on these machines the most at my job, you must be working on it for a company right? cuz i dont think any home user has this model. but yeah ive gotten that error several times. its powering off because the Intel chip is getting hot and its intels way of protecting the chip from damage, so there is nothing wrong with your power supply. you most likly have a bad cpu fan, it may be on but it may not be spining at the correct speed. ive also had to call in dell and have the cpu replaced and another time is has been a motherboard issue. run the dell diags from the cd that came with the machine and it should generate and error code to give to dell.

King X13 said:
I work on these machines the most at my job, you must be working on it for a company right? cuz i dont think any home user has this model. but yeah ive gotten that error several times. its powering off because the Intel chip is getting hot and its intels way of protecting the chip from damage, so there is nothing wrong with your power supply. you most likly have a bad cpu fan, it may be on but it may not be spining at the correct speed. ive also had to call in dell and have the cpu replaced and another time is has been a motherboard issue. run the dell diags from the cd that came with the machine and it should generate and error code to give to dell.

If it's shutting off immediately, it can't be a CPU overheat. A CPU overheat would occur in the period of 5 to 20 minutes.

A PSU problem sounds more likely. Might be the motherboard, but that's less likely.

funny enough one of our dells did this at work, It was the BACS bureau PC so we just had it replaced, I thought at the time though that it was CPU overheat/CPU fan failure.

you might try blowing dust out of the heatsink, resetting the CMOS and confirming that the CPU Fan spins ok.

Thanks, I know that the both fans are spinning for the second there is power to the machine. Although, this is an extra pc we had here at work and I think that we took it out of commission because one of the fans was extremely loud. I bet it's the power supply, but that also means it could be the CPU I guess it gets us nowhere.

jcr4nf said:
Thanks, I know that the both fans are spinning for the second there is power to the machine. Although, this is an extra pc we had here at work and I think that we took it out of commission because one of the fans was extremely loud. I bet it's the power supply, but that also means it could be the CPU I guess it gets us nowhere.

If it was the CPU, or the RAM or anything similar you would be getting beep codes. I still think it's the PSU.

I had another one of these and it was a similar thing, but it was a blown capacitor on the mother board, but I looked and I saw nothing wrong. I would love to test a different psu on it but i have nothing that will work with the motherboard.

hmmm considering i have about 200 of these machines in my care and ive called these parts in for replacement and have fixed the exect problem the ways i mentioned, of course my suggestions i mentioned should be disregarded.

a power failure on these machines is represented by a blinking amber light on the power button instead of green. so if it doesnt have that then its most likly not a power issue. now notice how everything i said is most likely, why? because thats a part of trouble shooting that it can be 1 of a million things and you have to narrow it down by trying several things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom