P4 1.8Ghz to 3.0Ghz+, Worth The Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
Hi Everyone,

I am currently running the following:

CPU: Intel P4 @ 1.8 Ghz, 533 FSB, 512k Cache
MOBO: ECS (Very Cheap) 4x AGP
RAM: 256 Mb DDR (266 Mhz)
G-CARD: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
HDD: 60 Gb Maxtor

I was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the following (500-600 CDN):

CPU: Intel P4 (Or AMD) @ 3.0 Ghz, 800 FSB, 1 MB Cache
MOBO: (Anything compatible with CPU)
RAM: 1 GB Corsair (400 Mhz)

Would I see a major performance boost in games?
Thx in advance.

Should I go with an AMD (preferably AMD64) or stick with Pentium. I am upgrading for gameplay mostly. Will I get more power out of an AMD? Thx.

definately go AMD if your going to get a 64 bit processor, But if you're not pentium is better because of iys hyperthreading.

Personally I would downsize your processor a bit. maybe a 2.6 ghz, because with a 3 ghz + CPU, The rest of your computer seems to be the bottleneck of any cpu faster than 2.6

There is also a major price difference in 3 ghz to a 2.6. Value-wize it would be better to get the smaller one.

IF you are getting a crazy gaming comp then start out new, with new ram cpu and mobo, so nothing will be wasted.

I am also going to upgrade my comp and was wondering the same thing. I think you should try out the AMD and if you do let me know how it works out!!

I was going to go with an AMD64 3000+, but I found out it is 2.0 Ghz. What is up with that? Why is it so low, for such a high price? And it is only 512k cache (i am interested in 1mb), and I can`t seem to find the FSB. For the same price, I can get a P4 3.0Ghz - 1mb Cache - 800 FSB. Which would be the better buy? Should I just wait a couple months for the prices to drop? Or for other CPUs (64bit) to come out?

I just wanna be able to upgrade on time for Half-life 2! Thx in advance.

P.S.: Does anyone know when Longhorn (Windows64) is coming out?

the AMD is clocked at 2.0ghz but it runs just as well if not better than the Intel P4 3.0ghz. Im going to be gettin my new comp soon and im defitnely choosing AMD over intel. Amd owns intel on gaming and if you want 1mb cache go with a 3200+. And get a Athlon 64 :p

Athlon 64 > P4's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom