Finally ordering C2D setup today....need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
nagasama said:
what about the difference in the l2 cache (2mb vs 4mb)?
is that important?
would it help the overclock?
i don't think so, but i am just curious...
yes there is a very noticeable difference between the 2mb and the 4mb l2 cache. if there was not a difference then intel would not have to charge you the $100 difference between the 6400 and the 6600. i would reccomend either the 6600 if it fits in you budget or the 6300 because you can also oc that to around 3ghz with decent motherboard and ram.

TriEclipse said:
Same basic core, neither the Allendales nor the Conroes are especially adept at 3.5Ghz+. Only a lucky few, and luck does not seem to be discriminating between the two.

and yes... e6600 and e6400 make a huge difference when its 8 and 9 multiplier...

you should easily hit your rams marked speed no problem..

as for not being not being adept to 3.5 ghz.. i dunno about that one..... e6700's hit it like cake!!! 350 fsb is nothing for a e6700

The multiplier of the processor affects the final overclockability by a grand magnitude of zero in most cases. A higher multiplier simply lets you use a lower FSB and thus a slower memory speed to reach your CPU speed goal. 3.2Ghz would max out the memory on an E6400, and the memory overclocks further than what is listed, especially when you start loosening the timings and raising the voltage. And yes, while a lot of E6700s manage to hit over 3.5Ghz, barely any of them are on air cooling. Remember kids, ever since the beginning, Conroes have not been expected to hit much over 3Ghz.

And lets not forget stability. Sadly though, it seems people have forgotten about it. WTF happened to the 24-hour Prime Stability tests? Its been reduced to around 2 hours of Prime or Orthos for the sake of higher speeds.

TriEclipse said:
The multiplier of the processor affects the final overclockability by a grand magnitude of zero in most cases. A higher multiplier simply lets you use a lower FSB and thus a slower memory speed to reach your CPU speed goal. 3.2Ghz would max out the memory on an E6400, and the memory overclocks further than what is listen, especially when you start loosening the timings and raising the voltage. And yes, while a lot of E6700s manage to hit over 3.5Ghz, barely any of them are on air cooling. Remember kids, ever since the beginning, Conroes have not been expected to hit much over 3Ghz.

And lets not forget stability. Sadly though, it seems people have forgotten about it. WTF happened to the 24-hour Prime Stability tests? Its been reduced to around 2 hours of Prime or Orthos for the sake of higher speeds.

hey 3.4 is plenty stable for me reguardless of stupid prime.... i played bf2, fear, cs:s on a regular bases and never crash or anything... run 3dmark constantly.. so in my book, i'm stable.. i don't care what prime says...

and when we overclock this high.. do we really care about stability for days... NO... we just wanna run some damned benchmarks.. i don't see people hitting 5.5 ghz to stay stable...

TriEclipse said:
[B

And lets not forget stability. Sadly though, it seems people have forgotten about it. WTF happened to the 24-hour Prime Stability tests? Its been reduced to around 2 hours of Prime or Orthos for the sake of higher speeds. [/B]

:amazed: 24 Hours?
Ive always done 48 and then at least 1 week of normal use as stability test. :rolleyes:

Lol, dude, do you even understand what stable means? Just know that in real enthusiast circles, you aren't overclocked unless you've tested for stability and passed a respectable amount of hours for it.

And Ste...**** dude, and I thought I was stable at 18 hours :p (I had to stop it, I needed my computer.)

TriEclipse said:
Lol, dude, do you even understand what stable means? Just know that in real enthusiast circles, you aren't overclocked unless you've tested for stability and passed a respectable amount of hours for it.

And Ste...**** dude, and I thought I was stable at 18 hours :p (I had to stop it, I needed my computer.)

ya.. okay.. not overclocked unless stable.. then i guess those 8.9 second super pi's don't count..

was it or was it not operating at a higher frequency than normal?

i guess none of those world records should be considered overclocked then..

Do you honestly believe what I was talking about suicide runs/bragging rights done under liquid nitrogen? I'm talking about traditional overclocking, done with the spirit of overclocking in mind.

Go read an overclocking guide. Roll down the list of steps. In every section of overclocking (CPU, Memory, FSB) there is a section for taking time to make sure that the desired speed is stable.

Any bum can change around the speeds and say, "Whopee! I'm overclocked!", but if you aren't going through all the motions, don't expect the respect or recognition of your peers (unless your peers are bums as well).

That's still more than enough, I can't have anything else running when I run OCCT, and combined with F@H, it should be a sufficient stress test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom