Folding @ Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
nitestick said:
don't underestimate the power of <1GHz cpus. i've had some Duron 800s and P3 800s running F@H and they chug along pretty well. anything over say 600-700MHz is well worth the trouble to get folding.

That's why i alway's keep my eye's and ear's open for anything above 600mhz,They alway's come in handy sooner or later ;) But for some reason all i can come across are little p2's like 233 or 450's :mad:

I wish i could find crap like that :mad: The most you can find is like a p-133,Heck people think those old comp's are worth more than gold here,There's people trying to get $250 for a p3-450 and that just cause it has a free mouse and keyboard,For some reason they alway's sell too,But when i try getting like $75 for my p3-733 i get like 1 email and then they complain it's too much and i never here from them again :(

ARg...... so the GPU client isn't playing nice with my machine... I tried both the GUI and Console version on my machine, and it is taking 30+ minutes per FRAME.... telling me that it will complete the WU around May of 2008...... SO... I closed them, OC'd the clocks a little, and still got the same result...

Next step, I installed Catalyst 6.12 from ATi's website.... that went smoothly, and rather than working units until the end of time, I was getting MASSIVE EUE (early Unit end, or something to that effect). SO, in all my brilliance (close to midnight, eyelids duct-taped open) I ripped out all the ATi software (and something else too, not sure what though) and now the computer takes about 15-20 minute to boot, IF it boots at all.... I then tried to boot in safemode and correct, to no avail.... then did a system restore to BEFORE I fudged it up, STILL boots wierd, so I am just going to format it and start from the beginning... Good thing that WoW, BF2, and drivers were the only things installed... lol

I guess I will try to get the GPU client working off the bat before any other software installs on this.....

Yes, gotta love the beta's... like Vista running on my gaming rig not detecting the integrated sound hardware... lol. Oh well..

I just have to figure out which Cat. version is bundled with the card. I am thinking it is 6.6 or 6.7, due to what the F@H ATI FAQ says... I guess I will upgrade to 6.10 after the fresh install, or maybe 6.11.....

Versions 6.6 and 6.7 will work, but at a major performance hit; 6.8 and 6.9 will not work at all. Due to all the complexities of support, we will support only versions 6.5, 6.10, and 6.11. Version 6.12 does not work correctly, but we are expecting that the 7.x series to solve that problem.

YAY!! I officailly have the GPU client software running on my Gaming Rig... It completes 1% of WU's in about 9 minutes, so 900 min per WU so far... I completed 1, and the 2nd is 60% done right now... gonna hit that 30K milestone by Monday hopefully!!!

EDIT: Update 01/05/07 11:10 CST: Well, my rig finished another WU this morning minutes before I left for work... that's 2 in 2 days. That isn't to mention the 5-6 hours I had folding turned off while I was playing BF2 the past 2 nights. Once I have this rig broken in, (just re-applied the thermal paste), I am gonna run it with the GPU client 24x7, which should be do-able, cause this is the GAMING ONLY rig, and I don't play games unless my girl goes out or is asleep. /EDIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom