Asus P5B vs Gigabyte 965P DS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evergreen

In Runtime
Here in the next couple days I'll be ordering all the parts for my new computer. Yay.

My original mobo that I selected was the Gigabyte 965P DS3, due to hearing that it had high overclocking potential, and at under $150, it's fairly cheap for me. However, the 965P DS3 is out of stock, right now, and with newegg not having an ETA for a new stock, I thought I might want to change boards.

The second board I had in mind was the Asus P5B. I'll probably only be overclocking the CPU to about 2.4-2.6 Ghz.

My questions are:
1.) Is the Gigabyte DS3 worth the wait, or is the Asus just as good?

2.) If I do end up getting a P5B, should I get the regular, -E, or the Deluxe model? Why?

Thanks

I could say some good and bad things about the P5B Deluxe because I own it. Good for overclocking, very stable board.

Some bad things are the build-in sound card is really bad, no SLI. You can run two ATI card but at 4x, if you aren't doing two video cards than that would be OK.

If you're OC the E6300 or E6400, I think both have their multiplier locked but the board can up the FSB at what you prefer and be stable from what I have heard people reaching 2.8 with this board on the E6300, of course with DDR2 800 RAM and good cooling and the latest BIOS update.

Honestly an even cheaper board with high overclocking , if not better than the DS3 is the Biostar 965PT. This board seems to have no restrictions when it comes to a C2D as well as it is only 104.99. It is the best possible price per overclocking capabilites as well as in my opinion the best board under 150. I would recommend this board over the DS3 but not a P5B in terms of features. The P5B does have alot of features and can overclock well but is alot more too. I own the 965PT and I could not be more pleased with it. I originally wanted higher overclocks and wanted the DS3 for around 115 they had a special. Yet when i wanted to order I found out it was a special and that they were really 140. Thus kind of skeptically I bought this board. When I received it and found what it had to offer I am amazed. It does have a few flaws like the Northbridge gets hot but nothing too outrageous.

So what I'm saying is if you were going to get a DS3 and they are out of stock, I HIGHLY recomend this board right here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138037

Ignore the reviews as most people on the egg are not as computer savvy as they think. The P5B-E is a very good board as well and if your willing to dish out the good bit of extra cash, its an excellent board.

The P5B-E is bounds better than the vanilla P5B. In a direct comparison, the P5B-E would win over the DS3. While the Biostar is a good budget motherboard, one of the best in it's class, it IS a budget motherboard and can't really hold its own when compared with the quality/capabilities of the DS3 and P5B-E.

The overclocking capabilities of the boards are even but your right when it comes down to it, the quality and features of those boards well make up for the extra money. Your the one that suggested me the 965PT on my budget and I am very happy with it.

The DS3 is In stock at zipzoomfly.com right now, and to add to that, it's $20 cheaper. Thanks for the help though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom