help with new Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo_99

Daemon Poster
Hi, I know this is a pretty stupid question but I honestly don't know the answer to it and I'm hoping that you guys can help me here.

I have this ram right now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231063

I've overclocked my processor and everything to the max but I've lower the overclock just to be safe and because I currently don't need that much power and speed anyways.

here's my question: because my ram is $150 for 1GB and I can get a lesser 2GB kit of Gskill DDR2-800 ram for $200ish will they work together if I set the clocks and everything the same in bios or will I run into problems with it?

I would probably take out the 1GB stick I have now and then OC with the 2GB to the max and then put in the 1GB stick again and set it to identical settings (assuming that since it's $50 more per gig that it SHOULD be able to do that)

EDIT: Here's the 2GB kit that I'm looking at getting for $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231098

anways that's my question, thanks for anybody who responds

Your RAM can be different speeds but if you're running dual channel then it will be as fast as the slowest memory. CAS latencies must be identical and at the same voltage.

Personally I wouldn't take two different module types and mix them, but they're the same brand and speed so it would run decently I'd say.

ok, well i guess my REAL question is...do you think that I should get another 1 or 2GB of the "good stuff" (I have now) or get the 2GB kit that I'm looking at now for roughly $80 less? I know that I can push my ram farther if I get the "good stuff" but is it really worth it?

PS...I don't have that much money to spend on this upgrade but I'm willing to spend more if it'll benefit me in the long run.

A LOT, I use it as a TV, gaming system, mixer for audio tracks, animation...basically everything. I'm probably on the thing for around 6-10 hours a day at the least.

For the record my computer has been ~$1350 investment so far (which is A LOT for me right now) and I'm just hoping that I can get 2 more GB of ram for $200 instead of $300 and the only con be that I can't OC past the new rams stock settings (though I've read that I should be able to from reviews)

Just running the $200 ram at stock I could get a 1:1 (which is the multiplier that's worked best for me) w/ my C2D E6400 and get a 3.2Ghz OC and with my nice ram I've only got up to around 3.6Ghz which I'm more than willing to give up for $100 cuz it still flies. In superpi 1M it was only like a 1 sec difference from 16-15 sec or something...(that's a guess)

So I'm hoping with all that info you can help me make a good decision but I don't know if there's more info you might want to know. Thanks

anybody else? I'd say that Phrantic answered my main question but I would still like some advice as to which to go for.

thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom