Are my temps too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tjunction is used by the thermal sensor to calibrate the reading. I don't think 85°C is a real temperature, but don't worry about it. *(see below)

Those idle temps are way too high. You should be idling in the low 40s.

Just for the record, make real-world load test: play the most demanding game you have for 30 mins or so (be sure to log temps with CoreTemp, set it to report once every minute). It shouldn't get as hot as with the Prime95 torture test.

*My guess is that the thermal sensor is a thermistor, and the Tjunction is just some circuit providing a fixed resistance that corresponds to a 85°C reading... so the actual core temp is calibrated by using this.

Meithan said:
The computer must be outside the garage for the CPU to idle at 18°C... under a foot of snow!

Nope not really.

With my sidewindow off, AS5 in a thin layer all over the CPU, Zalman 9700 with 74 CMF 120mm Exhuast fan, and stock volts stock speed, in a normal room, It idles at 17C in BIOS, 19C according to TAT, and 12C In speedfan, but speedfan is always wrong.

18C on air is perfectly reasonable with a case with extremely good airflow, wire management and a extremely good cooler, 18C is perfectly normal.

Lord AnthraX said:
Eh I'l screenshot it, but right now it's 27 with 1.55 Voltage :)
Unless you've built your case in a fridge, your ambient temperature can't possibly be higher than your cpu idle temperature.

If your ambient temperature is 21C (average) then your components can never be cooler than that... Even if you have the greatest airflow imagineable, the air it blows towards your components will still be 21C or higher. And a cpu, or any other component for that matter, definitely never ever runs as cool as ambient room temperature.

Bad sensor. ;)

Phrantic said:
Unless you've built your case in a fridge, your ambient temperature can't possibly be higher than your cpu idle temperature.

If your ambient temperature is 21C (average) then your components can never be cooler than that... Even if you have the greatest airflow imagineable, the air it blows towards your components will still be 21C or higher. And a cpu, or any other component for that matter, definitely never ever runs as cool as ambient room temperature.

Bad sensor. ;)

Where did I say it was 21C ambient?

21C is about 69 F.

It's NOT 69F here. Not at all

Stock cooler, sub par wiremanagement, bad AS5, It idled at 37C and loaded at about 64 ish in the same room.

Changed from that to the 9700, temps drop dramatically to low teens with stock voltage, uper 20's with 1.45 and low 30's with 1.5 and above.

Core temp is just the same as TAT.

Look I understand your concept and I full agree with you 100% as it's a fact. It is not room idea temp. I can somewhat believe it as when I was in my garage when I first built it and I had the Stock cooler, with the garage door open and the cold air rushing in, it idled at 14, 15C. It was FACKING COLD.

I agree most and some sensors are bad. On my DFI, the sensor was about 10C off. :)

I'l do some other tests and fill you guys in. Tuniq 120 is coming soon :)

Lord Anthrax, my comment was not suggesting disbelief, but rather astonishment.

As for Phrantic's remark, I tried to find a flaw in his theory but I failed. It does appear to be simple thermodynamics. However, I must admit I'm not fully convinced of such fact. At first sight, the argument does seem completely valid, but something -call it intuition- suggests me there might be something more to it than a simple invocation of the Second Law. Does moving air perform differently than still air, thermodynamically speaking? Remember the heat-extraction mechanism of a CPU is not quite a closed system, so there may be a subtle detail behind it all under which it is possible to bypass the Second Law, God (and Clausius) forbid my words. But I'm rambling...

Syphanx, we still expect to hear from you. A reapplication of thermal paste might be the solution to your problem.

Yeah i'll be trying it asap, just need to get my hands on some AS5. How much will a new hsf bring down my temps by? And can anyone recommend some really good ones.

Personally I've been drooling over the Zalman CNPS9700 cooler. In your case you should see a dramatic temp decrease, some 10-15°C easily. But I can be wrong.

Lord AnthraX said:
Where did I say it was 21C ambient?

21C is about 69 F.

It's NOT 69F here. Not at all
Well 21C is very average, if you consider it is winter and you have your windows closed and your heating turned on and your computer running. What is your ambient room temperature then? Must be very cold. :confused: Around 13C at most I'd guess then. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom