Monitor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

topher1723

Solid State Member
UGH, I'm so upset with myself. I made a stupid mistake and I'm hoping someone can help me fix it. My monitor has been working, but Windows was not recognizing it for some reason. I was just playing around with some of the settings, which I shouldn't have been doing. In the monitor properties, I changed the setting to Do Not Use This Device. It prompted me that I needed to restart the computer before the changes would take effect. I then thought it over and realized that might not be a good change. So I then changed it back to Use This Device, and it prompted me again to restart to make the changes. I did that thinking it would just go back to the way it was. Well......I guess I was wrong. Now every time my computer gets to the point where Windows is supposed to load up, nothing happens. I'm guessing this is because there is no monitor associated with it. It does the same thing when I start in safe mode, which is no surprise. I'm so frustrated right now. Is there any way that I can change that monitor setting without being in Windows? Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Chris

I tried booting in safe mode and it did the same thing. I tried booting using the last setting that worked correctly, and it did the same thing. I tried a different monitor, same result. I tried using the other port with the video output cable and plugging it into a TV, same results. Obviously, I'm not on the right track.

topher1723 said:
I tried booting in safe mode and it did the same thing. I tried booting using the last setting that worked correctly, and it did the same thing. I tried a different monitor, same result. I tried using the other port with the video output cable and plugging it into a TV, same results. Obviously, I'm not on the right track.

You can try multiple things:

1. If you have onboard video, set onboard video (sometimes called PCI in the BIOS settings) to primary, connect you monitor to it, boot.
2. If you have an old PCI graphics card, put it in a PCI slot, remove the AGP card, boot.

EDIT: You can also just put a different video card in the slot and see if it works. In windows, uninstall all Nvidia/ATi drivers. Shut down. Install old card. Boot.

turtile said:
Did you do it in Windows or in the graphics driver?

I did it in Windows. Here is the order I went in.

Control Panel-Display-Settings-Advanced-Monitor-Properties-Device Usage

TheMajor said:
You can try multiple things:

1. If you have onboard video, set onboard video (sometimes called PCI in the BIOS settings) to primary, connect you monitor to it, boot.
2. If you have an old PCI graphics card, put it in a PCI slot, remove the AGP card, boot.

EDIT: You can also just put a different video card in the slot and see if it works. In windows, uninstall all Nvidia/ATi drivers. Shut down. Install old card. Boot.

Pardon me for my lack of computer knowledge, but I'm not really sure what onboard video is, and I don't know how to get into the BIOS settings either.

Since you modified a basic Windows driver it will still cause a problem in Safe mode.

You can try repairing or choosing the upgrade option with the windows disc. It should overwrite the driver.

turtile said:
Since you modified a basic Windows driver it will still cause a problem in Safe mode.

You can try repairing or choosing the upgrade option with the windows disc. It should overwrite the driver.

Well that sounds like a good fix, except my dad was the one that put everything on my computer, and he still has the Windows disk. Is there another possible way?

Reboot the PC, start hitting F10 or F2 when the computer powers on. This will either get you into setup (BIOS settings) or cause a keyboard error. From setup you can make changes to your devices. Or remove the card and put it into a different slot. Onboard video is a card built into the motherboard. Non-removable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom