windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3wcl@w

Baseband Member
howdy what is the diffrence between windows vista ultimate oem version and the retail version one costing £135 and the retail costing £300

Actually, what I belive it is it is you can re-activate over and over again if you change any parts.

With OEM, if you changed your Motherboard you would need to reactivate, and from what I have heard, you cannot do that online so your were meant to buy a new copy, but apparently just ringing up Microsoft's tech support they gave you a new key to activate with.

People expect the same results with Vista Activation.

Yeah i know you can just phone them up for when u need to reactivate because of hardware upgrades etc which i would have thought u could do with OEM and Retail versions.
But what baronvongogo said is that you can activate the OEM only on 1 pc but with Retail version you can activate on 2 pc's.

fangs2000 said:
Actually, what I belive it is it is you can re-activate over and over again if you change any parts.

With OEM, if you changed your Motherboard you would need to reactivate, and from what I have heard, you cannot do that online so your were meant to buy a new copy, but apparently just ringing up Microsoft's tech support they gave you a new key to activate with.

People expect the same results with Vista Activation.
Actually they changed this.

M$ has stated that with a mother board change that is changeing a PC so you have to buy a new copy of the OS. That is with XP right now. Vista will be no different.

If you change a video card or something like that you shouldnt have to re-activate.

But Vista will only allow for 1 activation per PC.

Ok so there is no real difference between the OEM and Retail versions?

With XP i have changed my motherboard and had to reactivate but i did it just by phoning them and saying why i had to reactivate so surely this will be the same in Vista because no1 is going to pay however much vista is for them more than once just because of a new pc/motherboard etc.

Another thing, what is stopping people from buying a copy of vista and installing it on one pc and activating it, then installing on another pc and phoning up M$ to say you upgraded your pc and have to reactivate or you formatted your hdd for a clean install? :confused:

If you install Vista on more than 1 PC it de-activates the first PC. So in essance it will become a Fake. So when you try to windows update or anyting it will say that Vista is pirated.

Let alone the fact that Vista phones in every 180 Days to check for Validation. The phone call in thing can still work with XP cause they recently changed the EULA to say that a mobo change is considered a PC change. So in effect since the XP EULA doesnt say it they still have to allow it to be activated.

As for VIsta it does say that in the EULA about the mobo = new PC. So with the phone call ins it shall be more difficult to get it activated.

The phone call in thing with Vista is supposed to be different. You have to actually prove that it was bought and that there was a problem with activation. If not they are not supposed to issue you any codes that allow for it to be activated. This is supposed to help it being pirated.

At least that is the talk so far. Nothing is yet set in stone for the fact that Vista still isnt released to the public. But i highly doubt that Vista will be as easy to do this with as XP since M$ knows all of these tricks now.

Hmm i still dont get it really lol. They have to let u reactivate if you just changed ur motherboard or other hardware that will mean u have to reactivate. I cant see many people wanting to use Vista if they have to buy new copy just to reactivate after buying a new pc.

I did read sumwhere yesterday that said sumthing about M$ have changed it so you are able to reactivate with a mobo change because they realise that many computer enthusiasts are always upgrading.
I suppose we cant be sure till its actually released.

M$ hasnt changed it back. The PC Enthuiasts are a small # of people compared to that of OEM and Retail. M$ will not cater to US few that buy new mobo's and upgrade our system every 6 months to year.

M$ doesnt have to let you reactivate if you get a new Mobo cause it is a new PC. Most of the time a new mobo means a new CPU. What makes up the heart of a PC? HDD? No. Vidoe Card? No.

It is the mobo and CPU that make up the heart of the PC and that is why M$ does NOT have to allow people to re-activate after they upgrade them. It is not profitable for them to do so. If they did then they would lose so much $$ cause everyone would jsut do that instead of buying OEM or Retail.

I just switched out my Video Card and 2 Optical Drives. Yet i didnt have to re-activate Vista. It isnt the minor hardware that you have to reactivate with. It would be major changes like Mobo, CPU and meybe RAM they you would have to re-activate with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom