Transfer software from PC to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekGoodson

In Runtime
I have a buddy that just bought a new computer and now is wanting to transfer files and Programs over to the new one. Both computers have Windows XP. Can anyone give me an easy way to do this...?

First off windows has something called the HAL, it is the hardwareabstraction layer, each one is different 'cause you have different hardware and the kernl talks to the hardware throught he hal.
You can xfer all your old data to a folder on a new install, sorry but all programs will need to be reinstalled. Dont' forget to back up ie favorites and your email settings and mAIL if you have pop3 email and use outlook or outlook express, or if you use outlook or outlook express for internet email. Also back up any databases like quicken / ms money etc.
there is a slight chance you can use the old install, i can tell you how to do it, it is not recommended.

install xp on the new computer ( probably SATA HDs) unplug a cd drive or other PATA device . Should only be one on the cable if 2, do not forget jumpers. Hook the PATA hd to the cable on the new pc. Plug her in and turn her on. When the pc boots up it may detect the new drive and try and boot from it. With win explorer create a folder called old data. Then find the old HD in windows explorer and start cutting folders from the old hd to the new folder called "old data". When you cut and paste, if you get an error like "windows can nor access the file" the cut will bomb. Windows will copy over up to that point , so u have to go back and make the correction to finish the cut and paste. Also cut usuall works from Z to A.
Usually if you get an access is denied you just have to take admin possesion of the folder, no big deal, may not even happen.

aloha bob or vcom's systemsuite 7 can transfer programs to another computer

There are a lot of progs that can like advance directory compare. Having said that, I find that most of these programs will skip over locked folders whether do to share or security settings or hidden.
Actualy I have never tried the one you recommended EricB, just a heads up to Derek, some programs will stop and ask to skip the folder / file, then you have to remeber the name. Then again may not even happen LOL. I like cut and paste 'cause it halts on errors. Since I mentioned it I do not know how cut and paste handles hidden folders. I would assume they would have to be un hidden.

addenum: if you do get an error with cut and paste, coorct the file , then go back to the source folder and cut and paste the folder again, cut will copy the rest of the contents. Windows will detect the folder already there in the paste operation , just answer yes.

just manually add all the files and registry entries yourself, just watch out for programs that need registering.

Is the New machine similar to the older machine ? if it is try sysprep the machine (not sure what settings to use, Maybe factory and default :S) reboot machine, Just as it starts up turn the machine off then make a ghost image of it, copy it over to new machines HDD, when it starts up it should look for PNP devices etc. and you will have all your files, settings and apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom