Printer will not print...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instrumediatech

Baseband Member
I'm stumped! Apparently so is Microsoft and HP.

I have an HP DeskJet 820Cse that's been a workhorse, and worked on my desktop computer until it went in to be worked on (for five months, but that's another story).

During that time, it worked on my laptop (also a MS XP Pro OS) - and still works on my laptop...but it does not work now that my desktop is back with a new motherboard.

I've removed the printers and drivers and reinstalled them as instructed about 5 times now, and have tried "other" ports (yes, it's NOT plug and play), but always get a "document failed to print" message that troubleshooter cannot help me with.

Can you? Thanks for your thoughts!!

Z

(P.S.: EW! "Virgin Techie?" Please. "Tired Techie" - most def!!)

Instrumediatech said:
I'm stumped! Apparently so is Microsoft and HP.

I have an HP DeskJet 820Cse that's been a workhorse, and worked on my desktop computer until it went in to be worked on (for five months, but that's another story).

During that time, it worked on my laptop (also a MS XP Pro OS) - and still works on my laptop...but it does not work now that my desktop is back with a new motherboard.

I've removed the printers and drivers and reinstalled them as instructed about 5 times now, and have tried "other" ports (yes, it's NOT plug and play), but always get a "document failed to print" message that troubleshooter cannot help me with.

Can you? Thanks for your thoughts!!

Z

(P.S.: EW! "Virgin Techie?" Please. "Tired Techie" - most def!!)

have you tried a fresh install of windows on that desktop?

Does your computer discover the printer? Are you using the install cd/manufacturer's drivers or are you using the Windows drivers?

Something tells me all these responses have relevance -

1) My install of XP is with an invalid VLK. It was built for me three years ago when "genuine" wasn't an issue. Now it is. I have a new Key from Microsoft ($149 + tax later), but that still doesn't work. After three hours on the phone with them yesterday, tech support says I have to wait for the new disc.

2) It's connected via serial connector on LPT1. The printer is from 1995 (and yes, it still works on other computers in my house), but I found somewhere that genuine Microsoft OSs cannot properly interface with certain printers because the rasterizing process has changed. This took effect November 1, 2006. Since I haven't had this computer since July 2006, XP now prefers plug and play USB connections - the new Dell laptops don't have LPT ports anymore so when they replace my laptop at work next month, I won't be able to use it there either. Stupid Microsoft...

3) I have the drivers for it, but XP don't like it (Rock the Casbah)...

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom