Video Card Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higach

In Runtime
I was wondering how much impact the memory on the video card plays if it is 256mb vs 512mb...

I was wondering mostly about the eVGA 7950GT 256mb vs the 512mb.. I am trying to save some money on my build and the difference between them is like $210 vs $280, and if i am not interested in anything like overclocking is there gonna be a huge difference between these cards? My rough idea of my future build is in the sig, so you tell me what the difference might be

256 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130074
512 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130066

I think the memory depends on what size monitor your using if you go with a big monitor then go with the 512 if your using a smaller one go with a 256.

I don't think it depends on the size of your monitor, but the kind of games you play. If you play graphic intensive games, then the 512mb will help.

well what exactly does the ammount of memory do? correct me if im wrong but isnt it the ammount of basically ram on the video card so it doesnt take away from your actual ram? also with that does it effect how much ram you have vs how much is on the video card? basically i am for sure going with the E6300 and the mobo in my sig, but im trying to cut down on the video card and ram so instead of 2x1gb im most likely gonna go with 1x1gb g.skill cuz i can ALWAYS upgrade ram if i find i need more...

but with the video card basically i am looking for a decent eVGA 7800-7950 that will last me awhile (does it matter which one you get for the step up program?) and will play most games and most next generation games fairly well... i am not gonna pay 500 bucks for an 8800gtx and crap but i want it to be lets say playing stuff like bf2 or bf2142 on high settings and stuff like that while saving some cash

also i know that gs arent as good as gt's but like would the 7900GS still be a great card? My current is the Radeon 9550 AGP 256mb

Yes, a 7900GS is still a good card. It's a 7900GT but with lower clock speeds and 20 pipelines instead of 24 like the 7900GT has. You can always overclock the 7900GS as well, to GT speeds.

so 7900gs would still be decent until i would need to step it up? Since i want this to last me like 4 years through college, i was thinking that ram i can always upgrade easy and since the video card is step up i wouldnt need the best right now just what will be good for awhile and upgrade it later and if the 7900GS is good i might do that and save myself 120 dollars lol

*i keep editing so slow :p and missing posts lol

A 7950GT 256mb will do you fine. And it will play BF2 and BF2142 on high settings. Even the computer in my sig, can play it at the highest settings.

The 7900GS can be overclocked to 600/800 usually on stock volts and stock cooling. I have mine running at 615/835 stable without a volt mod.

If you were to ever decide to do an easy voltage mod which is just drawing lines with a pen then it can reach speeds of 740/900+ This is a sick ammount of power for the price and will domminate most games these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom