Raptors vs. 7200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evergreen

In Runtime
From experience, how much difference is there between a raptor and any regular Sata 7200 rpm?

Is it noticable? Worth the money?

I can't speak for SATA (though I'm sure it's similar) but the difference between a 10k RPM and 7200 RPM drive in SCSI isn't very noticeable unless you do a lot of something that requires the disk to be accessed a LOT (like serving, copying huge/many files, etc.). But if you do any of the aforementioned, you can feel a significant difference.

Everyones going to say it's not worth the money. Although I think some of the lower GB models are.

Heres why.

It's freaking fast

I have owned a 16MB Cache 150GB Raptor, and made the switch to a 7200RPM because I needed cache, and the difference was very noticeable IMO.

Windows loaded alot faster, Icons on my desktop loaded faster, startup programs went faster, and all my gaming load times were faster.

It's up you and is a personal decision. You shouldn't let people point you in the right direction with these because some people love them and think they are worth the money, while others are totally against it.

I think you should only purchase it if you got some money to spend and want better performance.

But if it means downgrading a video card, No way, stick with 7200 RPM

if i were you i would put the money to better use you can get a good 250 gig 7200 rpm drive for $70 on newegg and spend the money on a better cpu or gpu

It's mainly noticeable when you boot Windows. If you have a small Raptor disk (say 36GB) then it is unlikely that you will write a lot of data to it. But reading goes a lot faster. In that case it wouldn't help you that much, not enough for me to think it's worth it. But it will give you an improvement as your processor can read the system files from one disk, and all the other stuff from the other, making things process faster.

I'd say they really become lucrative when you get a high capacity model. But those *****es are expensive.

Lord AnthraX said:
Heres why.

It's freaking fast.

I have owned a 16MB Cache 150GB Raptor, and made the switch to a 7200RPM because I needed cache, and the difference was very noticeable IMO.

Windows loaded alot faster, Icons on my desktop loaded faster, startup programs went faster, and all my gaming load times were faster.

So you're saying a 7200RPM 8MB cache HD is faster than a 10K-RPM 16MB cache HD?

-----

The main times that you will notice the faster speed is if you install Windows and your games on the Raptor. As a result, Windows will load and conduct searches faster, and games will load themselves and their maps faster. This is particularly noticeable when on a game with large maps like BF2 or BF2142, as you need to load some parts of the map on-the-go.

Put it this way. If you are building a comptuer, put it under the low priority items at the bottom of the list. And when you are done pricing out the build and have money to spend get a raptor. I would consider like a 74gig model and put windows and games that use a lot of on the go resources on it.

well if you have enough ram, the comptuer wont have to use page file on the harddrive

IMO i think getting more capacity is better than loading windows 10-20secs faster or loading games slightly faster. If its not increasing my fps or making a huge difference, i would rather go with a 7200 and have more space.

But, if i had the money to buy a raptor and not have to sacrafice money from other components in my build, i would totaly buy one :D

the raptor is faster, alot faster if you RAID 0 (when the loading screen comes up for windows, the blue bar goes across twice for me and then goes to desk top :D about 5-7seconds)... is it worth the money though, thats a tough question to answer. i tend to hang onto my parts for a long time so for me, yes its worth it. i'll be bringing these raptors with me when i build my next rig in like 6 months. if you buy all new parts every 4 months like some in these forums, its not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom