Hard drive companies dropping the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBlair

In Runtime
As you all know, if you want the best performance possible with load times, you get a Raptor. Western Digital is having a ball with the Raptor, because there is nothing that compares to it. They can jack prices up, and consumers would have to stand there.

So I say, are hard drive companies dropping the ball here? Western Digital has so much breathing room in the high performance hard drive business, because there is no healthy competition for them. Look at AMD/Intel, or Nvidia/ATI. They're constantly at each others throats, innovating and cutting prices for the consumer, because they want their money. That is good for everybody.

Seagate/Maxtor, and all the other small hard drive companies care more about increased space than increased performance. If one of these companies were to make a competitively priced hard drive with equal or better performance, the hard drive business would go in a huge scatter, for the better.

It would be really great if the latter happened, but I feel that's not going to happen for a while. ;)

Thoughts?

That website has a typo, I don't think there's a Seagate Cheetah that supports SATA.

Of course, you can get an SCSI controller to have a 15,000RPM drive, after selling your kidney.

I would be scared to own a Maxtor with those kind of RPM's....

J/K (don't want to get flamed by the Maxtor guys!)

SteveMKIIDub said:
I would be scared to own a Maxtor with those kind of RPM's....

J/K (don't want to get flamed by the Maxtor guys!)

Haha, true that. :D

If you have the money, you can get plenty of SCSI or SAS disks, by many different manufacturers including Maxtor, that are faster than the Raptors. But yea, the Raptors are probably the only 'affordable' fast disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom