Help - my computer will only work in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leady4

Baseband Member
Recently had a problem with one of my computers on my home network and had reason to believe that it may have been infected with summat. I started to clean it up and all was going relatively well until I ran rootkit revealer when for some reason it decided to hang. It would not do anything, wouldn't close down, wouldn't restart, wouldn't close any windows, basically all I could do was move the mouse and click on things that didn't respond when I did!! :mad: I left it for about 3 hours and still nothing so I ended up by, yes, you guessed it unplugging it. However, whenever I reboot now it takes ages to display the login screen as though it is trying to search for a network device or summat that it can't find. When it finally appears and I enter my username and password it gives the message "the system cannot log you on now because the domain W002 is not available.". I really do not understand. First of all I have no server so I am not on a domain, and second, W002 is the name of the computer and all computers are on workgroup MSHome. It will not even log on as the administrator but will boot in safe mode. I have tried removing the network adapter cos it seems like a device driver problem but still no joy. Please someone help.

you could try a system restore (if you have any intact) just to get you up and running. Otherwise you might try a repair install.

Tried system restore and it still does nothing (went back over a month when I know it was working. It restores (or tells me that it has in safe mode) but still hangs for about 2 minutes when booted normally and still doesn't allow me to log on. Not sure what to do, I have removed every device and still nothing. Even tried deleting the network completely. Can't take my network card out cos it is on board but I am sure that this is part of the problem, although, I have uninstalled it with device manager. Is there a way that I can isolate what's causing it using MSConfig? I have a feeling that it could have been caused by a worm and that something essential has been infected that may have been deleted by one of the removal progs. Is there any way of knowing??? I could fresh install it but it is the main computer that I use to share all my data and I would like to try and recover it if possible. Thnx

repair install sounds good from here, It should leave your data and your installed programs intact but fix the registry and system files. Who knows how its will go with viruses on your system though.

If you need to recover data you might try using knoppix or something similar to extract your data before you continue.

If you're not familiar with repair installs then it goes somthing like this: boot from your windows CD, do not press R when prompted, hopefully your previous installation shows up, install to the same location and it should give you the option of a repair install (press R now). If you don't get that option then just quit out.

Guide

whack the PCI bus and restart. It should redetect all your hardware again. Make sure you know what your doing though, cause you often have to manually path it out.

Not quite sure what whacking the PCI bus will do exactly :) and to be honest I don't really want to risk blowing it up as well if I could just do a fresh install.
I will try a repair install and see if I can at least get it sort of running and if that don't work i'm stumped

Leady4 said:
... Is there a way that I can isolate what's causing it using MSConfig? ...

*Bump*

Any one any ideas.

@Mrcoffee - Tried repair install and it crashed at the windows xp screen that says "please wait". Also during the reinstall it said something about it could not install summat due to a missing .dll in a temporary internet folder??? very weird

Summat has well screwed it up and if it was a worm I'm now concerned that the other computers on the network could have been infected (although antivirus shows nothing)

If I fresh install, what prog can I use to completely wipe the hard drive and boot sectors before I format and reinstall it all? Just in case it has infected summat that format wont delete?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom