MS Outlook "importing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnulr

Solid State Member
Hello,

I think I'll start by explaining what I did then maybe someone out there with more experience than I regarding Outlook can help.

I just re-loaded Outlook on my son-in-law's computer and before I did that I "Archived" his "Inbox" on my hard drive. I then networked his computer so I could get to this file (archive.pst) on my h.d. No matter what choice I take on where to put the file i.e. "Personal folder" or "archive" folder it won't let me do it. I click on Import/Export then choose the file type which in this case is a ".pst" file on my h.d. then I choose either an "Archive" or "Personal" folder to put it in and nothing happens.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Wasn't sure where to put this request so I chose this forum.

Thanks!

jnulr

are they both the same version of outlook? PST files from different versions aren't always compatible.

this may sound stupid but you do have the the folder list open right?

shotlj1.jpg

as shown above if you add a .PST to an archive folder it should be listed in the folder list.

As I indicated in response to your PM, try moving the PST file to the other computer before importing it, to eliminate possible share/security permission problems.

If this doesn't work check if you can import the file to the outlook on your computer, if not then the file may be corrupt and you might want to concider using the "inbox repair tool" scanpst.exe though do create a backup of the file before hand as this tool just fixes the file header then discards information it doesn't recognise.

Hey Mr. Coffee,

Yes! I did move the file (archive.pst) to the other computer but still couldn't import it from either computer. Perhaps since he has nothing in his "inbox" at this time on his computer I could try your suggestion of scanpst.exe and I will create a bu.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how I do.

jnulr

backup the application data folder and copy it to the new location overwriting the new files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom