video card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemar1

Baseband Member
Hello, I just purchased a viewsonic q19wb lcd monitor and it's natural res is 1440 by 900. My video card is an onboard xabre 200 with 64mb and the best res I can get is 1152 by 864. Should I upgrade my card so it accepts the higher res or should I just leave things the way it is. My system only acepts pci slots and the best deal I could find is a card with 256mb for $80.00. Would the improvement be worth 80 bucks or would I be wasting my money. I only use the computer for internet, e-mail and downloading music and video clips. Would an upgrade help in these areas. Thanks in advance for any advice

do you really need the higher resolutions? if not then I wouldn't worry about it all that much. Nice monitor, BTW... an upgrade is always nice, don't get me wrong... :) more video memory is always a good thing

I guess if a higher res isn't that noticeable than I probably don't need it. But if the higher res is really much better than I wouldn't mind spending the money. I just don't like to spend money foolishly. Would a better card make a difference surfing the net or watching vid clips? I never use my computer for games and I know that's where a better card makes the most difference.

maybe for the video clips, but the higher res wouldn't mean a hill of beans while surfing. and even the clips I would have to say probably not.

I don't think it's worth the $ if you're not gaming.Especially since you're limited to pci so you couldn't even re use the card in a new system.

My old ATI expert 128 16mb video card supports up to 1920x1200 and it probably costs less than 10$ if you find a used one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom