broke the plastic cpu retention piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseber1982

Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
Was building a machine for a friend.. installing the OS, and it turned off.

Looked in the case to see that one of the plastic nubs on the plastic cpu bracket broke and the heatsink was off of the cpu. I am guessing these things have thermal protection lol,, good.

AMD K8 bracket.

I need to take this box down to Georgia with me in 2 days. Anybody have any good jimmy rig ideas? Dont have time to order one. I was thinkin bout tryin to drill a hole in the plastic and putting a small screw in it maybe. I cant even find the original piece that went on it.

thanks

To avoid destroying the CPU, I would do it the correct way and get another bracket. Check local computer shops, not chains to see if they have something laying around you can use.

lol, just called every tech shop within like 10 miles. most of them i get some oriental dood who doesnt even know what the heck i am talking about

lol i explained to this one guy what i needed and i said that i needed it today. he kept telling me to look on ebay and i will have it in a few days. Then he said that i can give him an ebay item# and he can order it for me. so lol i told him that if he can order one off of ebay, and get it to me buy cob today, which is in like 2 hours, i would be happy lol

he dont got the peice that broke. hot glue melts when it gets hot, near cpu is bad idea. superglue would work, but under alot of stress, if it was done wrong and in a hurry with out time to dry it will fall off. screw would be the best temporary fix, but the possibility of metal flying around the pc is not good. only other option is thermal adheasive, but thats a mad idea also, as the hsf is locked to the cpu, and the cpu can be pulled out and get bent pins if its stuck to the hsf (had same problem, i hate thermal pads)

ok. .hehe... put a zip tie through the hole on the metal clip on the heatsink.. and around the bottom of the actual plastic plate on the board. the heatsink is the thermalright HR-01? lol dont feel like looking it up.

tightened the ziptie,, then cranked the pressure up on the heatsink clip. Pressure almost pulled it down to there the broken piece is, so i think it will work decent./

lol yea, no hot glue or superglue.. i can see that breaking off and then the heatsink falling onto the graphics card.

thermal adhesive,, brings back funny memories. Back when the geforce TI 4600 was GOD..,.. I pulled the stock heatsink off of it, exposing the core with the metal spacer around it. I mixed arctic silver and JB weld lol. I put that on the spacer... squashed a full size copper cpu heatsink on it lol. I put the card in,, warped it like **** from the weight, so i put long screws on the cop of the heatsink and fan and made that push it off the bottom of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom