problems past 299 bus speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
hi all.
i am having problems getting past 299. the problem being i cant do it lol.

i dropped the multi to 9 and lowered the ram speed to ddr2 400 so i could run my ram 1:1 (which really seems to perform better even tho it underclocks the ram at 299mhz).

it's wierd, when i exit out of bios and go to re-boot, screen goes black and nothing. the computer does not turn off or try to load windows or give a bsod.

i have tried everything that i know of:
lowered the multiplier all the way to 7x300, so my cpu would actually be underclocked, no go. black screen.
lowered the ht multi from 3 to 2, no go. black screen.
increased the voltage to the maximum i am wiling to go (1.625), no go. black screen.
it will boot at 299, but not 300.
my bios says i can go from 200 to 400, so hence my problem here.
can you guys think of something i missed or that i can try?
or maybe that i am doing wrong?
i haven't listed everything i have done, but if you think of something you do not see, post it...it may be something i haven't.
i wonder if my mobo is just at it's bandwidth limit...?
if so, they shouldnt put that you can go to 400 in the bios.
any kind of help or suggestions are much appreciated.

nitestick:
right now it is at 3. i tried 2 also, it still did not allow me to go higher than 299....help
bmx:
cpu stock 2.2
ram posts at 1.8 @ 5-5-5-18, but is rated at 2.1v for 4-4-4-12.
heeeeeyyyyy...i wonder if my ram timings are too tight for that bus bandwidth...?
i think i'll try loosening them back to 5-5-5-15 or 18....
lemme know if yall think of anything else it might be.

well some motherboards just flat out hit a brick wall going that high.

I know anthrax is having a similar problem getting past 450.

well shiot.
changing timings no workee.
set them to 5-5-5-18 2t, no luck.
yeah i been reading about that problem with anthrax.
i really do think it may be my mobo. but i'm hesitant to shell out the bread for a dfi or gigabyte if i dont know it's gonna produce better results.
you don't see a lot of posts saying that an x2 hit over about 2.8
i sure would like to see the other side of 3, tho...
anybody got any suggestions or ideas about what is going on here?

well some motherboards just flat out hit a brick wall going that high.

I know anthrax is having a similar problem getting past 450.

we're talking about a big difference here. if my memory is not failing me Lord Anthrax is running an e6600, correct? the FSB is not the fault here but rather the Northbridge of the motherboard's chipset that would be holding him back. in the case of nagasama and his Athlon64 system it's not the chipset failing him because that link is removed from the chain (at least in terms of overclocking).

nitestick and everyone...
any other ideas?
you think i have just maxed out my mobo...or my rig in general?
i just don't think it is my ram, because:
i can run it at 450 mhz (245x11...11/6 divider 667 mhz)stable with a command rate of 2T.
right now it is set on a 5:4 divider (533 mhz) running at about 338mhz, 1T with no stability issues.
so, i don't see how it could be unstable with a 1:1 divider (400mhz) running at 300 mhz 1T (and yes i tried 2T).
right now i have cpu at 270x10, with fsb/dram at 10:8 (or 5:4, if you like), so ram is 338.
i don't thinkit is cpu core voltage, as i can run 1.475 stable all the way to 299, but at 300 wont do anything even with 1.625.
also i notice in bios a cpu vdd voltage adjustment. i can't find anything to tell me what this is. and i'm not going to raise it until i find out what exactly it is. anyone know?
the way it acts when i go to 300, 301 etc is just wierd. when i exit bios to reboot, it just doesnt do anything. everything is still on, but i get no display. if i manually turn it off and back on, it goes thru the post screen and before windows starts to load i get a black screen with a message to re-set the cmos because of clock frequency (i can't remember the exact wording, let me know if this is important and i will get it).
help help help.

yes anthrax has a 6600. also on that note, maybe the vdd is the chipset voltage?
could it be the chipset which is holding me back?
i wonder how helpful abit tech support is...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom