Upgrading components in HP dv5230us

Status
Not open for further replies.

deimos1090

Solid State Member
Hello all,

First I would like to thank those of you that respond to posts such as these. I have visited many forums in the past, and by far this one is the best.

Now, on to my question:

I recently recieved an HP dv5230us laptop over the holidays, and was wondering if the graphics capabilities on it can be upgraded. The components in the laptop are as follows:

15.4" brightview TFT, Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (128mb), 120GB hd, 1.5gb RAM, DVD+-RW.

So, in short, I am asking if it is possible to switch from the integrated intel 950 to something else (ATI or NVIDIA ?).

Thanks in advance.

-deimos1090

If Its a laptop i no you will find it dificult to upgrade. But wether it can be done im not sure. Im sure some other people on here will resolve your issue quickly. Thanks.

But to be honest ive cant remember of hearing about upgrading laptops.

Thanks for your response!

From what I have gathered so far, If the laptop came with a dedicated card already preinstalled, then it would not be possible to upgrade the GPU.

But since the laptop has integrated video, would that allow for a dedicated memory card to be put in?

Integrated video means that the video is put out directly through the motherboard. A dedicated card would be the case that you could upgrade, by getting a better dedicated card. It all depends on if the motherboard has an expansion slot for a graphics card or not, if it's an HP and has onboard, I'm willing to bet against the possibility of upgrading but I'm no expert on laptops. I'll try looking up the laptop itself and see if I can help you out anymore after that.

One reason why I hate HP's are because if you want to buy any parts for it, it has to be HP parts. Not any other kind. Like with a gateway, if you wanted to buy an extra hard to put into the computer it doesn't have to be the gateway hard drive, it can be any hard drive that fits. But on an HP it has to be exactly the HP hard drive. So good luck with the upgrade.

There's no such thing as a "Gate way hard drive". An HP would accept any sort of hard drive, as would any system, be it even a dell. You're gonna have that problem with just about any prebuilt. I wouldn't even say the problem with it is so much that it's an HP but that it's a laptop. Laptops are usually built with one thing in mind and that why you get what you want put in them when you order one. There usually is never much room for upgrade when dealing with those. Also, I looked at the motherboard on that and I couldn't find a slot listing or anything but I'm pretty sure there's no slot for video upgrading from what I read, Unless someone finds the schematics and proves me wrong.

So no upgrade internally? Well that sucks.

I'm going to go on a limb here and ask, does anyone know of some kind of external solution? Maybe cardbus or expresscard?

I really don't know of any external video cards or cardbus video cards that would work. When it comes to laptops, you're pretty much limited to upgrading (internally, anyways) the hard drive, RAM, and (sometimes) processor.

By the way - manufacturers do NOT use proprietary RAM or HDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom