Is there a way to delete files that say 'Cannot be deleted'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marconis

Baseband Member
I want to install Sim City 4 again because I'm pretty bored and have an urge to play it. At 19% of installation it says that it cannot copy the media Apps or something like that, so I have to abort installation. The reason is, Im assuming, because there is still the apps icon in the maxis folder from my last uninstall, and I just can't delete it. If this doesn't really make sense just answer this....

Is there a way to delete a file even though your system won't allow you to? I looked in my registry keys and I cannot find "Maxis" anywhere, so I have no idea how to delete it.

One way, is through command prompt. I forget the command, but i believe its "del Drive:\folder\file.extension"

Another way, is boot into safe mode. Delete from there.

Google Force Delete. It is a application that does it for you.

Snake-Eyes said:
One way, is through command prompt. I forget the command, but i believe its "del Drive:\folder\file.extension"

Another way, is boot into safe mode. Delete from there.

That's del /f, but even that only does read only files.

I am also interested in this app, but every link I find to it is dead. Not even on P2P. Found a command prompt app at code guru, but it only works on files used by other processes, not a running file.

windows won't let you delete something thats loaded into memory or being accessed by system files.
I can see no good reason why this file should meet those criteria but perhaps there is some sort of process launched at startup? try using the task manager to end the process.
I often use the "delete file on reboot" facility in hijackthis.

Alternatively just install the game to a new directory

or you can go into the directory of the game itself, type in del *.* (MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN THE CORRECT DIRECTORY!!!) and then use rd <folder name>. You want to be at the highest folder heirarchy.

so example would be:

c:\maxis\>del *.*
c:\maxis>cd ..
c:\>rd maxis
c:\>

or you could use a Windows Live cd and boot to that and delete it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom