bsing me

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattowns

Baseband Member
some people were bsing me before saying xp only supports 3 gigs.

my friend said if it did my computer wouldnt be running which it is.

and he said xp was meant to be custimizable so umm wth

32 bit fully supports 4 gigs whats with everyone and that!

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Read that!

"Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 Memory Support. The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB"

right from Microsoft.

and XP 64 bit supports up to 64 gigs of ram and 16 terabytes of page file.

xp 32bit runs fine with 4 gig and uses it.

it ma support it but it doesnt use it.
and you can get four gigs of ram but your system will run slower then the exact same rig with 2 gigs in dual chanell

King X13 said:

Read that!

YOU NEED TO READ

"The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file."

turtile said:
YOU NEED TO READ

"The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file."

read it !

"virtual address space", physcial ram isnt virtual lol.

**EDIT** and when something says support is means uses.

i dont mean to be a @#$% but where is everyone getting the information that 32bit cant handle 4gig thats what i want to know. in like 10 different threads that people say this i show them proof that windows 32bit handles and uses 4 gigs. people were even getting wrong how much 64bit handles when its cleary on microsofts site. so someone please show me where on microsoft it say such a number like 3.2gigs or 3gigs, people have even said 2 gigs then change there mind. so where is this info coming from.

Every single 32Bit xp machine that i have installed 4 gigs on,, has only ever recognized around 3.2gigs of it.

Have done this to about 10 machines in the past 3 years

My last machine, i went right around and reinstalled xp64 right over top of it.. bam 4 gigs

King X13 said:
read it !

"virtual address space", physcial ram isnt virtual lol.

I guess you don't know what virtual address space is?

VAS is the total amount of memory that can be used between the OS and applications.

A 32 bit operating system can ONLY address 4GB total.

In Windows at least 800MB must be reserved for the operating system leaving a total of 3.2GB of memory.

In 64 bit windows, you will eventually be able to address 1TB of memory. Therefore, if you have 4GB of memory, a program can use all 4GB and the system can address virtual memory.

turtile said:
I guess you don't know what virtual address space is?

VAS is the total amount of memory that can be used between the OS and applications.

A 32 bit operating system can ONLY address 4GB total.

In Windows at least 800MB must be reserved for the operating system leaving a total of 3.2GB of memory.

In 64 bit windows, you will eventually be able to address 1TB of memory. Therefore, if you have 4GB of memory, a program can use all 4GB and the system can address virtual memory.

first that would still be 4 gigs not 3.2, just cuz windows is using it doesnt mean its not being supported or used.

second is how are you saying 800, when windows xp can run on 128meg physical ram and 2mb min page. wheres the 800 come from then.

and in your theory if i have a gig of ram then apps can only use 200 meg, thats odd how a video game can then use 600 meg at the same time.

**EDIT** and also with your VAS bs, if it was the total memory and system can use between the os and apps then it would be 8192megs because you can also have a max of 4096 in page that is apps also use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom