Several paths to choose.. upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem.. My HDD is ata-133.. and I have two cd drives, one to burn, one to read.. :-\

I believe that mobo only has 1 pata... which = two devices.. 3-2=1 thus leaving a device not hooked up. :-\

All the new motherboards are going that way. HDD's are inexpensive these days anyhow. I would get a sata drive with 16mb cache and an external enclosure for your ide HDD for storage. Thats what i had to do with my new rig (except i got two for raid 0 ;) ).

Good Idea..

Would I have to format that drive? Im pretty sure I would. Only saying becuase my Windows Disc is like the one that came with an old cyberpower computer I dont know how many installs I have left on the CD Key, and I cant even upgrade to SP2 becuase its from that old computer.

Also, rumor has it, that ATI's R600 gpu outdoes the 8800GTX... and its coming out end of january? Should I wait?

You should be able to upgrade to sp2. Just dl it from the microsoft site. I would build your new system with the sata hdd and put the old hdd in the external and reformat it then. I thought there wasn't a limit on os CD's, just that it can only be installed on one computer? You will have to get another key for it though by calling up microsoft.

Im waiting too, but i won't be able to get a new gpu until this summer. So i will go with w/e the best dx10 card there is out then.

Well, I have tried that a couple times in the past, and I think somehow ms knows this computer isnt the same as the one before... and it doesnt let me back into windows after I do it.. so I just run without sp2. I guess Ill just get a new cd/dvd burner combo drive and chuck the two seperate drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom