New Router + BitTorrent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shando

In Runtime
Ok, so I bought ans set up my new wireless router a few days ago. Prior to this, I was getting 240kbps downloads from HTTP and alto Bittorrent sources. However, after setting up the router, I now still get 240kbps for http downloads, but for bittorrent, I get around 100kbps. I'm using the latest version of uTorrent with a 2mb connection. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks

Shando

quite possibly, they offten knock out these routers with half complete firmware then complete the firmware later and release it as an update.

My router for example was unstable and only had part of the functionality it has now but its been sweet since i upgraded the firmware.

Port Forward

You need to port forward. So what you need to do is see what ports your sending and receiving through both TCP and UDP the router will let you select both. Then you put your IP address in 1 field and the port in the port field and select allow and save and your done. Although different routers handle it different ways there is a lot of info out there about this topic.

www.portforward.com

it has a list of router models and instructions on how to port forward for many applications and which ports.

Also take into account torrents very rarely go over 100Kbps it depends on how many seeders and the size of the file. Also in Utorrent it has a little icon at the bottom which represents any possible connection problems, RED, YELLOW and GREEN. Obviously you want green but if its yellow you most likely need to port forward.

come to think of it I do get a load of UDP packets dropped by my router when I use bit torrent.

I read somewhere that utorrent actually is put out by people that will track your usage. I will see if i can find the link on this. I think it was on Phonix labs maker of peer gaurdian.

The µTorrent fiasco
March 7th, 2006 by phrosty
You may have noticed that PG2 started blocking utorrent.com. This is because µTorrent’s developer recently licensed his backend technology to a company known for monitoring P2P networks.

Today we confirmed that it is for a new content distribution system - something explicitly stated in the contract, meaning they are not allowed to use it for monitoring P2P users or anything else.

So is helping out a company known for P2P monitoring morally wrong? Maybe. But everyone needs to eat. The licensing had no malicious intent toward P2P users, and it does not affect µTorrent in any way.

Yet it is still blocked. This is because we are still silently redirecting all of your list downloads to our friends at Bluetack while we get our own lists ready. Adding or removing things from their lists is something we have no control over.

Fortunately, we have been preparing to launch our own lists for about a week now! Within the next few days PG2 should automatically start pulling the lists from Blocklist.org - no work on your end required.

(By the way, this sort of thing is what Blocklist.org is meant for - go rate utorrent.com if you want it blocked or allowed

http://phoenixlabs.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom