Extremely hard problem please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
somehow i don't think it's because you're using USB mouse, but maybe it is. i would suggest backup your data to another partition or storage device using knoppix or by slaving it to another machine and reinstall the winXP. or you can do an OS overlay by installing winXP right over the old one WITHOUT formatting or deleting any partitions. you will not lose any data but all your installed programs will need to be reinstalled.

i do think you are over dramatiziing the situation and using bold font is not needed. if you need it fixed immediately goto a repair shop and pay a professional to fix it.

Slaving it on another machine is exactly what I was thinking about doing, but I hope that some else knows how to fix it using another way, not having to reinstall everything afterwards.

In the BIOS the usb controllers are on, but I dont know how to check it in windows, since I cannot navigate...

Now I'm thinking of slaving this hdd on my old rig and installing partition magic, so I could make a new partition where I could move all my data and then format the windows partition (thanks to Laser for giving me the idea).

Is it just your USB keyboard and mouse?? or are other things not working either? I would buy a standard keyboard and mouse and try them on the system. If the system boots up fine then find updated drivers from the manufacturers website. Sounds like you are either having resource errors or the USB hub/bridge has been messed up and need to reinstall chipset drivers. Not too tough, just some time consuming troubleshooting to fix the problem.

Not sure if this is related or not but I just finished working on a PC with the same problem. It ended up being a Virus..Leviathan I believe it was called and it infected the Windrv.exe file that was responsible for loading drivers for keyboard and mouse on startup. I couldn't repair the file so I deleted it and replaced it and everything was fine after that. Probably not what's going on in your case but ya never know I guess.

i just wonder if by any chance
have you try to install a PS/2 mouse? or other keyboard?
then if you have the disc for your mouse and keyboard
(Logitech Cordless Freedom connected at PS/2)
uninstall the usb mouse and keyboard and reinstall after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom