Computer wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgroff04

Beta member
First off the power supply is brand new and the only way it turns on is when I hook it up to a tester. The power supply works perfect. I did the bench test and still nothing happens. Every now and then when I push the power button the exhaust fan will start to spin for a split second and even more rare, the heatsink fan will start to spin for a split second. The motherboard is also new and the cpu and heatsink is also new. Ive tryed booting up with only the motherboard and processor (and heatsink) hooked up, still nothing happened. So I guess the only possiblities are a faulty motherboard, CPU, or maybe the RAM stick? Since the cpu and motherboard are new i'm thinking about returning both of them. I would feel much better though if there was a way to figure out which one of these components is bad though. Thanks for the help.

Just try Process of elimination first, That can tell you the problem about 75% maybe More of the time.
So try different memory stick and processor, MAKE sure all fans and the heat sink is on properly.

Which motherboard do you have? Look in the motherboard and check the ram configuration. On my new board an asus A8N-SLI Deluxe you have to have the ram in the 3rd slot over. And if you dont it does just what your saying.

Mine only has 2 slots and i've tryed both. It goes in the slot closest to the CPU. If I pulled the ram and just tryed to get the computer to atleast show signs of life and it still doesn't work that means that the RAM stick is not the problem and that it's either the motherboard of CPU correct?

Yeah its probably CPU or the board like you said. Its just such a pain in the butt to figure which one it is. At least there both new.
Have you checked the motherboard book and made sure the ram you have is compatible with you board.

connect motherboard without cpu and ram. if atleast smps fan starts, then the problem might be with cpu.
i have same problem, you are getting split second wake up , but mine simple refuse to wake for split second also.

I connected the motherboard without ram and cpu. The power supply fan and the exhaust fans along with their led's turn on for a split second before shutting off. This happens everytime I hit the power button. This is a little different though because when I had the cpu hooked up this would only happen every once and awhile but I don't recall the led's coming on. I guess this tells me my motherboard is bad? This still doesn't tell me if the cpu is good or bad though :-( Thank you guys for all the help so far. What does SMPS stand for?

to check if SMPS is working or not, short circute wire no 14 (green) and black wire in smps mother board connector. if it is working ,then SMPS fan will remain on till the connection between green and black wire is maintain.

Switched-mode power supply (SMPS)
: is an electronic power supply unit (PSU) that incorporates a switching regulator -an internal control circuit that switches power transistors (such as MOSFETs) rapidly on and off in order to stabilize the output voltage or current

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom