My computer keeps restarting itself continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socknight

Solid State Member
I went to turn on my computer today and it started just like normal but when it reached the desktop it shut down and started up again. It just keeps doing this over and over. I've unplugged everything that isn't nessecary from the PC. I've also pulled the power bar out of the wall and let it sit for a while unpowered. No go.

Thr last thing I did was install Doom 3, play for a an hour or two and installed some Logitech webcam software. Though it doesn't seem like a software problem. Any tips on how to go about fixing this?

Oh yeah, not sure if this is related but ever since I first built this computer (4 months ago) every time I turn it on (Push the power button) the fans start for a split second and then it goes dead silent for about 3 or 4 seconds, after which it starts up normally and runs like a charm. Since I'm lazy and it worked fine I never really tried to fix that or find out it's cause.

Specs:
Widows XP Home

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHz)
BFG Geforce 7900GT OC
OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 2GB kit

ASUS P5B Deluxe Motherboard
Western Digital 74GB Raptor Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB drive

OCZ GameXstream 600W Power Supply
NEC ND-3550 DVD+/-RW
Zalman CNP9500-Cu-LED heatsink

If you have anything overclocked, bring it back to stock settings and test again. I had all kinds of problems when my CPU and GPU were overclocked, and when I clocked them back to stock, it ran just fine.

I had the CPU overclocked a tad but I was using the ASUS overclocking software in windows to do it. Is there some way to change that without loading Windows... since, I can't?

Yeah, good old BIOS. Overclocking in windows is bad news, and may be the cause of your problems. I would suggest that you go into bios, probably by pressing delete or one of the F() keys, and then "reset to defaults".

This will clock your processor to stock.

Another choice, is to open you computer, and reset your bios by flipping a jumper. I am not sure which one though, you will have to consult the mobo manual for that information, as it is model dependent.

Thanks for the help so far.

I reset to defaults and it didn't work. :(

I'll try anything that involves opening it up tomorrow since it's late and I'm tired.

Oh, one more thing:

Try and start windows in safe mode. I dont remember how to do this, just google Safe Mode, but if it works, then it is probably a driver problem, or you could scan for viri in that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom