Help! Comp died on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozes123

Beta member
I just bought 1 gig of ram, and stupidly put in my old ram and new ram in backwards...at least I think I did for both for both of them. I started the computer, and I heard a snap and smelled some smoke so I immediately turned it off. I learned I put it in backwards, and now I'm wondering what the damage is. When I put in my old (512 DDR) ram the computer makes beeps as if it wasn't in there...for both slots. When I put my 1 gig in the computer doesn't make any noises for both slots. Regardless, I get no image from my desktop, and my joystick,mouse,keyboard etc. Are not working. I tested my video card (7800 GS OC) because the fan was working and no display was showing, I took it out and put in my old one (9600 XT) After turning the comp on, the fan worked for about 20 seconds then stopped. I'm wondering what else could be damaged? Could it be the ram, mobo? Could there be other things damaged like my video card? My video card slot? please help and give any advice you can. Thanks.

That's not possible without physically forcing the RAM into the slot. You would have to rip off some of the pins to get it to fit that way, it's made fool-proof (or so they thought).

But, you're probably looking at a fried motherboard, possibly a fried CPU, and maybe some of the devices connected (HDD, sound card, video card...who knows).

theres no way u can put a RAM in backwards because on both ends of the socket there are two clips which holds down the RAM and theres a splitter where the pins sit on, unless u put the RAM in an angle well then.... :confused:

EDIT: if i where in ur shoes i'd be testing every hardware in the computer 1 by 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom