Fixed One Problem But Caused Another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturnine138

Beta member
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been meaning to learn more about computers for a while, and having my notebook break was pretty good motivation. I cant really afford a new one, and it's not worth paying a few hundred dollars to get it professionally repaired, so I decided to fix it myself.

It's a HP Pavilion ZX5000 that I've had for about a year and a half, and is out of warranty. The power jack went bad and I dismantled the laptop and removed the motherboard to replace the jack. When I put it all back together, the computer turns on and the LCD lights turn on but there's nothing on the screen. I completely dismantled it twice and the problem still occurs. I've tried using another monitor and that didnt help either. The wireless card looks as though it may not be inserted all the way, but I cant get it in any farther. Could that cause the screen not to work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When you dismantled the laptop you couldve knocked something, or shorted out the chip, or anything
Laptops are fiddly things, and really shouldnt be taken apart unless you absolutely know what you are doing

When you turn the laptop on, Do you get any beeps

Well, really the bios should make a beeping sound, if it doesnt then its not getting pas the POST (power on self test), which means you couldve shorted something out, not connected something or many other things. Best thing to do is go to a professional and get them to have a look at them, and make sure they dont fix anything and see how much its worth

I was afraid of that. It's a fairly old computer, 40gb hard drive and 700 or so mb of ram. It doesnt run too fast and can hardly keep up with what I needed it to do, but if I could keep it running for free I would have waited a bit before upgrading. It isnt worth paying to have someone repair it, I'll probably just buy a new computer if I cant get it running again. I've been looking at macbooks, and my desire to repair this old thing has diminished a bit. I'm still open to any suggestions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom