cd/dvd errors after hard drive replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanK23

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,

I had to get a new hard drive after my original went bad and after installing windows xp I tried to burn a CD using Windows Media Player. I kept getting a "0xC00D11AB: Cannot copy files to recordable disc" error telling me to clean the disc, use a different one or select a different write speed. I'm using the same discs I used before I replaced my hard drive, and I have tried multiple ones each brand new. I tried downloading DeepBurner and using it to burn the MP3 disc and got anothe error saying "WRITER ERROR [ILLEGAL REQUEST(WRITE PROTECTED)]". I burned discs like these all the time when I had my other hard drive...but I can't get anything to work now. I also get a "DVD Decoder" error when I try to play DVDs. Any suggestions?

Gateway M520
Slimtype COMBO LSC-24082K DVD/CD-R

Go to the manufactuers website and update the firmware to the burner. Also go to device manager and see if there's any conflicts or errors.

The computer manufacturer or the cdrw/dvd drive manufatcturer? No conflicts or errors...I don't know anything about IDE connectors, I just know it worked with my last hard drive and hasn't worlked since I switched them

You may be able to get the firmware from the PC manufactuers Website, but if they don't have it, you'll have to track down the manufactuer of the CD-ROM and get the firmware from them.

Like BMX said though, try putting the CDrom on a seperate IDE cable from the Hard Drive. It's a good idea.

As for 40 or 80 wire IDE, you can tell by looking at it. 80 wire has twice as many wires, and they are much much smaller.

I know it's probably pretty easy but I have never done anything with firmware before and was reading some posts and it looks like if I do something wrong I can do some damage to my hardware. How do you go about updating it? Is there a way to tell if it needs to be updated?

Ok updated firmware still nothing...Since this is a laptop I don't even know if I can access the IDE cables. I know its hooked up the same as I had it with my old hard drive. All i did was switch hard drives and now the burner or DVD player doesn't work...it still reads CDs though. If I plug in the old hard drive back into my computer my burner and DVD work again... but the hard drive is bad and runs very slow so i can't use it too long...i don't get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom