Freezing at Windows Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koiby255

Beta member
I have Windows XP Pro and it usually starts up just fine, but sometimes near the end of startup (the black screen with the Windows logo and the scrolling blue bar) the bar freezes and forces me to reboot. As far as I can remember it's always done this. It dual boots with Windows Server 2003, if that makes a difference.

I've had this problem since I built this computer, which was a while ago. It isn't a big problem, but can get really annoying at times and it would be much more convenient if it was fixed.

Today it froze four times in a row, and on the fifth reboot it ran some ScanDisk thing (I think...). This is the first time it's ever done that.

dual booting 2 operating systems can be a pain, I would suggest reinstalling it since it happen when you were installing the os more than likely

you can boot of your os install disk and go the repair console and run chdsk and chkmbr, (not sure if these are the exact commands type help to find the exact command) but you can check your disk and master boot record for errors, might work........

Would it be a problem to reinstall with Windows XP on the partition that has 2003 Server now? I'd also rather not reformat at all if possible.

Did u Dual boot on the same partition? If you did, thats the sources of your problems, so unistall one and reinstall on a separate partition.

you could try switching on bootlogging in your boot.ini , might give some clue as to what the problem is

log file dumps to:
systemroot\Ntbtlog.txt

run msconfig and add the bootlog switch on the boot.ini tab

reboot a few times and hopefully the problem will occur, then in the log we will be able to see at what point the boot process stopped (atleast if the problem is a driver or process).

Also you might want to check out the event viewer system log.

I tried boot logging actually, but nothing was written to the log file whenever the problem occurred. The event viewer didn't really tell me much either, but thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom