upgrading amd processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeH_Snip3r

Baseband Member
im buying a computer from my friend and it has a AMD Sempron processor (would like to find out exactly what kind it is??) in it and i would like to give a nice up grade to a AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core. would i have to buy anything to install the new processor or could i take out the old one and pop the new one in??

thanks for any response's

It depends primarily on the CPU socket the motherboard has. Semprons can be mounted on three different sockets: socket A (old), socket 754, and socket AM2 (new). Athlon X2's can only be mounted on socket 939 (incompatible with Semprons) and socket AM2.

In other words, the computer you're buying must have an AM2 motherboard. Otherwise, the socket won't be compatible with an Athlon X2.

If it's not, you'd have to buy a new motherboard as well.

well im on my buddy's computer right now is there any way of telling what kind motherboard he has without opening his case?

Semprons came in 939s as well, mi amigo. You can still buy them on NewEgg.

Trotter: I just checked at Newegg and all I see for socket 939 are Athlons and Opterons. I also checked at AMD.com: no Semprons for 939 as far as I can see :).

TeH_Snip3r: To determine your exact processor type and motherboard, please do as Apokalipse suggested.

i have cpu-z installed... what should i be looking at because i dont see where it says what tpye of socket the processor is?

the processor is a plain ol' AMD Sempron and the motherboard is a micro-star international. model ms-7061. i dont know if that help's?

EDIT: i went to the micro-star site and found out(i think)

here and i clicked on Amd Sempron so i guess it is a socket 754?

thanks for your help!

Meithan <- Owned.... alright, there are 939 Semprons, but you'll have to admit they're quite rare.

TeH_Snip3r: the socket type is reported in CPU-Z under "Package", in the Processor part of the CPU tab. Here's a screenie:

socketpz7.jpg

In my case it's Socket LGA 775.

I think this is your motherboard. It's a socket A (462) motherboard (the model is KM4AM-V-V; MS-7061 is the part number). Double check in CPU-Z just to be sure. Oh, you could also check the "Mainboard" tab of CPU-Z, lol.

I also checked the CPU Support List. It seems the best CPU that can be mounted on that motherboard is an AthlonXP 3200+ (Barton core). Newegg.com doesn't sell AthlonXP's anymore, so you'll have to look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom