8800 GTX power

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrazeD said:
That's 321 watts at load for the 8800GTX. I'm not sure if they were measuring just the card or the whole system, but if they're measuring just the card then you'd need 642 watts for two.

This is true. Either way, it gets the point across that you won't need 50KW for two 8800GTX's, like i'm sure too many people believe.

Snake-Eyes said:
This is true. Either way, it gets the point across that you won't need 50KW for two 8800GTX's, like i'm sure too many people believe.

Yes, so, like I said before...700w or more would be fine. You would have way more than you need...but isn't that a good thing? Plus, if you got a really good brand like PCP&C or Thermaltake, Antec, Hiper...whatever...you could keep the same one for quite a while without upgrading. In the end, you'd be saving money by not having to upgrade as often.

Not 50KW....but give it a few years. :p

So, anyway, back on topic....

will h4x 4 food: If it's not getting quite enough power as it should, it may be running slightly unstable. Maybe not enough to give errors, but it might not run at optimal speeds.1

nitestick said:

the current does add up. part of the power will be provided via rail 1 which will be in the ATX connector, part by another rail which the PCI-E power is on.

i did say this on the first page of this thread. i didn't realise the 8800 had two auxillary connectors. well if each PCI-E power is on a seperate rail and you have a decent PSU you will get quite a lot of power available to the card given it has three 12v rails available to it (the ATX 12v is always a seperate rail and provides power via the PCI-E slot).

nagasama said:
if you're using your 4800 and a 7800 gt in 3dmk06, i think 7k is an ok score.
besides, if it plays games well on high settings with no lag, who cares what the benchmark score is...?
oh sorry, didnt update my sig. 7800 gt is my old thing. and it doesnt play games at high settings with no lag. thats the problem. dark messiah gets down to 10 FPS with HDR and AA on. i have to turn it all off to get playable frames and then it looks bad. anyway when i was reading about these people who are getting over 5 figures in 3dmarks i noticed something... all these guys are using those core 2 e6600 things. lets suppose for a second my CPU is whats holding me back. (although i'd think my processor which is 50 mhz less than an fx 62 wouldn't be bottlenecking anything). would the upgraded CPU help my benchmarks (boost only the CPU tests thus raising my 3dmark score) or would i actually get better FPS in the graphic tests and in games?

edit: renamed thread to 8800 GTX performance problem (renamed from 8800 GTX power)
edit: never mind i didnt.. i cant edit the OP any more lol

nagasama said:
if you're using your 4800 and a 7800 gt in 3dmk06, i think 7k is an ok score.
besides, if it plays games well on high settings with no lag, who cares what the benchmark score is...?

7k with a 7800 would be an unbefreakinleavable 3dmark06 score! def used the 8800GTX for that. I just broke 6100 with my voltmoded 7900GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom