CPU upgrade or RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein1jo

In Runtime
Hey. My comp is old, but I can't afford a new one or even if I could I would buy a fancy laptop instead. My current comp is gonna become a server someday which it should be more than powerful enough for.

My video card is still pretty awesome (successfully unlocked too). However, my comp does get choppy when playing BF1942 and BF2. I didn't think it would make a difference, but it appears either my CPU or Ram is definitely causing a major bottleneck. My CPU is a 2.4GHz, 533Mhz FSB P4 with no HT (overclocked to 2.66Ghz). My ram is 1GB PC2100.

Do you think I would see a better boost with a 3.0GHz, 800Mhz FSB P4 with HT CPU or 1 GB of PC3200? Both can be had for $90 each so it's one or the other. Best thing is my MB supports both so no other upgrades needed.

Write heres the lowdown... Number one your graphics card isnt that awsome so it may be that thats struggling. Your ram is only PC2100 i reccomend PC 5300 if your mobo supports it. Your CPU could be overclocked more with a better fan.

However i think your right some of the lag might be your 6800GS but most of it will be your low quality ram (PC 2100)... I sujest you spend a little money on a new cpu fan overclock it more and then spend the reamainder on a new PC3200 or above 1GB stick of ram.

To be perfectly honest both your CPU and RAM are in need of a replacement. Auction of them both and then you will have a little more money, maybe enough to get replacements for both ?. You might one to Overclock your Graphics card to check that not the problem it seems you have decent fans on your pc ^^

Are you using DDR2 or DDR ?.

Many Thanks

I think more ram at PC3200 will do you good, because you're overclocking your CPU already.

edit: He has to be using DDR because, DDR2 speeds don't go that low in speeds.

You shoudnt be struggling with BF1942 & BF2... I have a 6600 and 1800+ and I get 30+ FPS on medium on BF2. I think its you CPU, and also your ram isnt that spectacular, perhaps invest in a nice AMD64 CPU as AMD's are really desinged for gaming.

save and get something around

Amd64 3200+
MB that supports DDR400

then you could always upgrade your ram later. 6800 is fine, i recon its your CPU ;)

I was thinking more the processor would be the issue myself. Higher FSB, higher clock, and higher cache.

Cache alone is huge. New one would have 1MB whereas the old one has 512K. The difference in performance between the Celeron and P4 is massive and the only thing that is really different is the cache size, 256K for the Celeron and 512K for the P4. So the 3.0 with double the cache should be noticeably quicker I would think.

The new one has HT aswell, yet all I know about it is that it is better. I have never actually seen it used in tests.

If someone has some technical arguments for the ram I would love to hear it.

Oh, and as far as overclocking my CPU. It currently idles at 35C so there should be lots of room to go higher, but if I do it locks up. It's not like I know what I'm doing though so who knows what it may cap out at.

It ain't the graphics card, mines the same core (6800GS) and if on SA I can get 20fps when recording a video with max settings and 4xAA, I think thats pretty good.

And I think that you got a bad OCer of the Bunch with that issue :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom