Question regarding Graphics Card and LCD monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
Hello,

I've just built myself a new PC.

Specifiction:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40Ghz CPU
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS Graphics Card
Nvidia 680i SLI motherboard
Corsair 1GB DDR2 667 RAM
OCZ 700 Watt Game XStream PSU
Seagate Barracuda 320GB HDD

To accompany the new rig, I purchased the Hyundai ImageQuest B91D 19" LCD monitor. The response time for the monitor is 4ms, however some sites claim its 8ms?!

Ok, here's my problem. I decided to test my new graphics card by installing Prey. Now, although the graphics run smoothly, there's no stuttering of any sort etc, there are what can only be described as annoying "tremors" "ripples" or "scan lines" that run vertically up the screen whenever I move the mouse during play.

I heard once before from a friend that it may be a problem relating to the graphics card. However, the graphics card was installed properly when I was building the system. The Geforce 8800 currently resides in the black 16x PCI-E slot in the motherboard, with power running to it. The drivers for the card were downloaded from Nvidia and were installed successfully.

I'm not an expert when it comes to graphics cards, so I wondered if any of you guys could shed some light on the problem.

Further info: I've fully updated Windows XP Pro, with all updates including SP2, I've ran various system mechanic software to clean registry files, defrag the hard disk (using O & O) ran disk cleanup etc...

The only thing I can think off is that its more hardware related. Maybe the graphics cards faulty, although the componant has never been dropped or handled with brute force...

Is there any advice that you guys can give me? Or is there any graphics card diagnostic software out there that I can get my hands on to unearth the problem? Or could it possibly be monitor related? Something to do with response times?

Thanks,

Jonathan. :)

try reseating the card, running a test for dead pixels, do you have both the 6 pin PCI power cords plugged into the card?

also if you have any other games try another game to see if it does the same thing

if doing what Preacher said to do does nothing talk to tech support about returning the card as a defect

icantflybfplane, I have the PCI-E power cord plugged into the card. I'll try enabling vertical sync. Not sure how you do it, exactly.

Would it be worth reseating the card in another PCI-E slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom