Weird issues with p5w dh deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karplak

Beta member
About two weeks ago I got all the parts together to build my new system. They are as follows:
Asus p5w dh deluxe
intel e6400 cpu
nvidia geforce 7950gt
2 x 1g of corsair xms2 pc6400 ddr2
NEC cd rom and floppy
2 x WD 160g caviar sata 3.0 gbps in raid 0
Enermax 500watt modular PS

About a week and a half after successfully building I get a crash while playing black and white 2. Reboot and windows is corrupted, sometimes BSOD sometimes just restarts. Ran repair and was eventually able to get back into it, still no explanation on why it crashed though. Ran memtest and got about 4 errors after 30 or so passes. Tested the RAM and it's fine, swapped it from a1-b1 to a2-b2 and got 0 errors after 24 hours. Reformated and installed windows and ran 2 instances of prime 95 for 24 hours. Hottest my cpu got according to TAT was 40*. Everything seemed good again so I went about my business like normal.

Last night I had google open and I'm talking to someone on MSN and all of a sudden it's like my spacebar is being held down. Everything I tried to type just made the cursor keep going. Also, I get a bad ticking noise coming from inside my case. I try swapping keyboards but it's the same thing. Restart my computer manually and the ticking is present even before windows comes up. Also, the motherboard can't see my HDs any more, they're just gone. The only way I could get the ticking to stop was to unplug nearly everything from my motherboard, and then it was hit and miss. I know it's coming from my motherboard because I unplugged everything not needed to post. I don't know if it's from the mobo speaker or a capacitor or something though. After I unplugged everything the ticking stopped so I started plugging stuff back in again. I've got everything hooked back up and no ticking and it seems to be working fine again. Go to boot and windows is once again corrupt, exact same way as last time. It gives me the option for safe mode, last known good config, and normal. All of them look like they're loading then reboot. Clicking comes back and hard drives disappear again. Also, I was getting a strange error telling me "over clocking or over voltage failed", even though I'm set to defaults right now.

I'm thinking it's got to be either the power supply or motherboard, I don't know what else would cause this.

Cliff notes:
2 Random crashes now, both resulting in being unable to load windows
Clicking sound coming from motherboard, definately not anything else
RAM is good, CPU is good
Possible suspects: MOBO and Power supply

sounds like the hard drive myself... but...

mobo: change the battery on it. it could be dieing. also look at all the capacitors to make sure that none of them are bulging (there should be a flat looking "K" on each one) if that is the case, and you have one or more getting ready to blow, then replace the mobo.

PSU: if it was the case, it would crash with more regularity

I thought for sure hard drive. I ruled that out by booting up with no power and no cable going to either hard drive though. I booted up with just mobo, cpu, vid card, and RAM and still got ticking. If I can get windows back up and running when I'm off work I'll try running western digitals scan program and see if it sees any issues. The hard drives so far have been dead silent and very fast.

Also, what you said about the power supply is what other people are saying too. It'd be a lot more all or nothing. That once again leads me to believe it is the mobo. I read up on bad capacitors a bit earlier, I'll check those when I'm home too. Anything else I can look for on the mobo itself as a giveaway? I've got until Tuesday before I can RMA the mobo so I'll do as much as I can to make sure it's the culprit here.

One other thing to add that might be relevant. The clicking noise starts right around the time the ASUS splash screen comes up, which is about 2 seconds after the power starts. Also, the clicking stops if I go into BIOS, but comes right back if I quit BIOS and reboot.

I would RMA the mobo then a wouldn't even worry about it. It sounds as if you did more than enought to find out what the problem is.

You're probably right. I've got a couple days before they're even open though so I figured I'd exhaust any other possibilty completely. I'd hate it if I waited 2 weeks for the replacement and have the same error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom