Intel Northwood and Prescott Tempratures

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam3

Beta member
Hello,

I have a Prescott 3Ghz just installed in my PC. This thing seems to run so hot. My idle temps vary but can be up to 50. Under load it has hit 65 C, that was when room temp was around 24/25 C. I have a Zalman CPU cooler, also 4 case fans running in my Lian Li PC60 case (2 front, 1 rear, 1 top blowhole). I hear the Prescotts do run hot, but this hot??? I have set my temprature alarm to 70 but i am sure in warmer weather i will hit that point very easily. I dont know know what temp limit is on the Prescott but i am sure its close to 70.

I am seriouslly thinking about getting myself a Northwood 2.8C. Does anyone know how much cooler the northwoods run in comaprison to the prescotts?? What kind of average temps do people think i would be reaching in idle and under load with the Northwood?
I was hoping that if the northwood does run quite a bit cooler i would be able to run my case fans at a lower speed to reduce some overall noise.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I think you should try to re-seat your heatsink. Improper heatsink placement would be one reason for high temps if the processor was just installed.

Also, dont forget to use some quality thermal paste like artic silver.

My friend has a prescott. This cpu tends to run at around that temp during games but is quick to cool down after wards

Yes i already checked my heatsink seating and i also used Arctic Silver paste.

Does anyone know how much cooler the northwoods run in comaprison to the prescott??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom