My First build

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman1391

Baseband Member
Im trying to build a Pc that will be able to run games at a fairly good speed and have some media on it.

I already have these but ill put them on anyway

Hard Drive- Segate barracuda 7200.10 (perpindicular recording) 250 GB 7200 RPM 16 Mb cache SATA 3.0 Gb/s

Case- Apervia X-discovery al silver steel atx mid tower computer case

What im proposing to get

PSU- rosewill Rp550-2 atx 2.01 550W power Supply 115/230 v CSA, CB, TUV FCC, UL

Processor- AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ windsor 2.4 GHz 2x 512 KB l2 cahce socket AM2

Memory- Patriot eXtreme Performance 1GB 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM 800 memory

MoBo- MSI K9n platinum socket am2 Nvidian nForce 570 aultra MCP ATx amd motherboard

Video Card- evga GeForce 7900Gs 256 Mb 256 BIt GDDR3 Pci Express x16 KO video card

Will all these work together in a system, and what would be a good addition.

just to let every 1 know im going on vaction so i wont be at a computer until like january 1st

thanks

Stick with what you've got there but change your motherboard and processor. It's a silly time to buy an AM2, go with a core 2 for around the same price as that processor, actually lower I believe and get more out of it. Are you into overclocking at all? You'll get much more out of a core 2.

M733mhz said:
Stick with what you've got there but change your motherboard and processor. It's a silly time to buy an AM2, go with a core 2 for around the same price as that processor, actually lower I believe and get more out of it. Are you into overclocking at all? You'll get much more out of a core 2.

Were did the silly time for an AM2 Come from... Yes the Core 2's are faster but Arnt as efficent and you wont have any problems with a 4600 thats very fast. Get a 7900GT instead of GS or Ati X1950Pro

How are they not as efficient? It's all in the benchmarks, I'm more of an AMD fan myself but he'll get more out of a core 2. Also, what kind of problems do you anticipate him having with a core 2? Yes the 4600, is a good processor, but the core 2's out perform I believe ANY AMD on the market right now so for the price ratio, I don't see any real reason to buy an AMD unless you're dead set on going with them. I'm not trying to sway the builder's opinion, just putting the option out there.

Intels run at higher frequencies which naturally use more power.

Im just saying there isnt any need to swap to an Intel with that CPU. theres no point in having that much more power if you will rarely use a Athlon 4600 to its full capability.

Thanks

Well, it's more future proof than the AMD system. The intel would last him longer than a (4600 $192.00 ). The E6300 ($189.00) runs at a lower frequency (1.86GHZ) and has a 2MB L2 cache'. Even at stock speeds it beats that 4600, runs at a lower frequency, is far more efficient and cost almost the exact same price.

overclocking

I wasnt planning on overclocking it if that helps.

also for the video card, what is the performance gain if I would get the GT instead of the GS.

-madman1391-

M733mhz said:
Well, it's more future proof than the AMD system. The intel would last him longer than a (4600 $192.00 ). The E6300 ($189.00) runs at a lower frequency (1.86GHZ) and has a 2MB L2 cache'. Even at stock speeds it beats that 4600, runs at a lower frequency, is far more efficient and cost almost the exact same price.

O very sorry i was mistaking them for the old Pentium 4's at 3+ Ghz.

Agree with you Now ! :D

Silly mistake i made their :p

Thanks

Re: overclocking

madman1391 said:
I wasnt planning on overclocking it if that helps.

also for the video card, what is the performance gain if I would get the GT instead of the GS.

-madman1391-

Hmmm probably about 5-10 Fps on average at a guess based on other GS and GT in the 7600 series that ive been looking at anyway.

So yeh probably worth it as you will gain memory and Pipelines usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom