On the OC highway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
OK, so I'm an overclocking n00b. No shame in that, provided I'm willing to change it... and I am.

I'm starting to overclock my 3200. Why? 'Casue I don't have the dinero to buy a better CPU right now. Anyway, I'm at a loss as far as what I'm doing.

I'm at 2.15 GHz on standard voltage. I'm holding at 43C at 100% CPU (running Folding in the background). I booted into 2.17 earlier, but when I tried for 2.2... nada. I bumped it back down to 2.17, but it was unstable.

I know that I'll have to up my voltage and all as I go, but I need to have an idea of the stepping of this. I've read the guides, but they don't have the answers I need. They go on and on about what stuff is (I know this), I need the nuts and bolts of it all.

For those who don't know me that well, I tend to deal with generalities for most things, but not with this. I need solid answers.

OK, I caught Nubius on ToV and picked his brain a little.

I'm at 2.2 GHz, 1.45V. I changed my RAM timings to 2.5-3-3-6, and have it set at 1:1.

I know it can go more, but I'll wait to see if anyone can offer me some more solid info.

Your ram is DDR400 Im assuming correct?

I'd relax those timings a bit. Try 4-4-4-8 It will save you some hassle of figuring out what hardware cuased a BSOD and why.

I'd start out 1.45 Voltage like you have, that's a comfortable tempeture.

Excellent to see you have a good motherboard.

So what I would do is first download some utilites that you will need that will come in handy. I usually make a folder for these types of programs and stick it on my desktop so I know where everything is ;)

CPU-Z Probably one of the more important tools. You know what it does.

Smart Guardian Temepture monitoring Scroll down and look for Smart I/O Driver. The reason you need this over other temepture monitors is becuase this is most accuarate and specially made for NF4 Chipsets like yours ;)

Super Pi Mod You dont need this but it's a fun tool, and usefull for testing ram stability at 32M

You really shouldn't go above 1.55 if you plan on using your overclock 24/7. I assume your on air so 1.5 or 1.55 If your tolerant of your temps.

You might even want to get a new CPU cooler. I'm not sure what you have now, but it could help you get that extra 200 MHz :)

You might want to invest in a new chipset cooler. This is optional, but is cheap and keeps your north bridge nice and cool.

You should never use windows to overclock A64's. Always stick to the BIOS, so just incase you get instability and looping, you can always clear you CMOS.

This is your new mantra That guide will teach you alot of the vocabulary and such.

I hope I got everything. :D

Your ram is DDR400 Im assuming correct?
Yep.

I've got CPU-Z, I'll download Smart Guardian.

I've got a ThermalTake SilentBoost on my CPU, so I'm good for a bit.

I'll bump it some more when the mood hits me.

lancec2c30 said:
Ya It is funny like that, sometimes you wanna just send the thing through the roof and other days it is just. eh lol

I get that alot too. It's strange :(

Acctually with my AMD it was always whatever it's fast enough.

Little different on the conroe ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom