Need some help from the experts, new build problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arussell

Beta member
First my specs are: E6600, Gigabye 965p-DS3, 2 gig corsair RAM(compatible with mobo according to site), OCZ gamextreme 700W PSU, EVGA 8800GTS

Ok, the quick version(more info below) is the problem I am having is that after the computer starts, it displays the info on the CPU and memory and then hangs and It wont give me access to my keyboard to enter bios or anything.

Further explanation is this: If the system is cold(hasnt been run for a few hours) it will start normally, I was even able to install windows. However, after a few minutes in windows, I lose keyboard and mouse control and after I restart, the above happens. This is almost exactly what happened to me 2 weeks ago(although it never allowed me to install windows), I thought it was the mobo so I RMAed it but apparantly that wasnt right. I should also mention that I never hear any POST beeps, not even a single 1 indicating a successful start when windows does start.

Initially it sounds like an overheating problem, but when I am able to enter bios(after a cold start) the temperatures never exceed 40C. So, I think it could be a power issue. Either a defective PSU not supplying consistant power, or is it possible for a high wattage system to overload the wiring in an old house? I dont think it is the memory because I have tried each stick seperately and I dont think the CPU would cause a problem like this. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Well this is a tough one. For one thing do you have a speaker hooked to the motherboard. Not all motherboards come with a speaker. Is your mouse a USB if not try to get a USB adaptor for the mouse and try it. Not that is a fix but just to troubleshoot. when your in BIOS will it keep running.Try running it in BIOS over night or at least for a few hours. If it keeps running and you have no problems then I would think its software. Try to reformat your computer and reinstall. It almost sounds like the hard drive could be giving you problems. How did the format go for you? Did it take a long time and did the install go good? Also you can try to start windows in safe mode F8 upon booting to see if it runs good. Also did you install your motherboard drivers?

I dont think the hard drive would affect the bios startup or how the keyboard/mouse function would it? The format and WinXP install went fine as well. And when I did have some time in winXP, I did manage to get some drivers installed.

I have a couple USB to ps2 adapters that I can try and safe mode as well. And Ill take out the 1 HD and use the other to install windows and see how that goes.

Well I tried all that stuff. I havent started it in like nearly 24 hours so it did get to windows but it immediately restarted itself and got stuck at CPU/memory detection again. Couple more things tho...occasionally when I reset it, it shows some artifacts as well on the screen. Also, somehow the CMOS resetted itself because all of a sudden, it was showing me the white gigabyte post screen that I had disabled in BIOS. I looked on the mobo and the CMOS reset pins are directly below and close to the fan part of the 8800 GTS, I dont think they are touching but they might be which could be a problem.

the cmos problem could be what u said, and if its touching while your computer is on, it would cause the computer to "stick". Though maybe not cause you say you start it when its cold, Which the heat could cause the metal over the fan to expand and makes it touch,
Just get something that will insulate the pins and try it

I was just grasping at straws on this one. Its a bugger for sure. You could try to take it out of the box and lay it on a static bag and try to boot it with just ram vid card CPu and drives. I have an old wire harness from a computer that i took the power wire from to boot computers with out of case.

I fixed it. Apparantly both sticks of ram were bad...I went out and bought a cheap stick to test it and it booted right up. Thx for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom