8800 GTX power

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
I'm surprised there aren't more threads of this nature... I searched and didn't find any so don't flame please :[[

I found out I had a problem last night when I was averaging 20 FPS in the first test of 3Dmark06. Hopefully the 8800 GTX is capable of a whole lot more than that or I've been mislead :p lol. I have an Aspire (Apevia) beast power PSU. It's 680w with 24A on 12v+. It is to my understanding that 30A is required. It takes two power connectors for this card though... do the amps get added? with two 24A connectors does that equal 48A total or not? I think it doesn't but im just making sure ^.^
Anyway I'm just getting confirmation that my PSU doesn't have enough umph for my new GPU before I get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703005

If you get new, get like a 700W or so, just so you have headway. The card takes around 300watts to itself. :O

Now, it depends if each PCI-e connector is on it's own rail. If so, it would share the amps...but if they're on the same rail then no.

from what i learned in the past few days watts don't mean as much as i thought they did. i could have a PSU with 600 watts (80 less than i have now) but if it had 30A on the 12v it would be fine, right?

Watts are useless. You have to look at the ampage and the tempature its rated to be running at.

Aspire is horrible but PCP&P is one of the best. You'll see that good PSUs are rated @ 40C to 50C while the bad ones are at 25C and have most of the power on rails other than the 12v.

nagasama said:
i dont think you can find a 500watt, let alone a 600watt, psu that has less than 30A on the 12v. but if you do, don't buy it lol.

that is really far from the truth. MAKE SURE you check

The only thing small about the 8800 is it's transistors, so they can fit 681 million of them on a die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom