Problem with computer lagging (program seem to use too much mem and process)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coconutgizmo

Beta member
Hey guys, this is my first post. I read the rules and i hope i live up.

Well, i have a problem that has me very very very annoyed. First off let me tell you my specs:

Dell Inspiron 9300 (less than 1 year old)
1.83ghz Pentium M Centrino
1GB Ram ddr 667mhz
80GB 4900rpm
AtI mobility Radeon x300 128mb (not sure if its dedicated)

This laptop has been my pride and joy for the last year. I am an avid gamer, and i was quite pleased to see that this PC could play almost any game quite well. However, lately my computer has been lagging in a very annoying way, the symptoms are as follows:

Anytime the system is opening a program, say Firefox, the computer seems to alot 99%+ process to that process and the computer totally hangs for a few seconds - SO MUCH THAT NOT EVEN THE MOUSE POINTER RESPONDS! The lag occurs for about 5 seconds, but it has never ever ever happened until the last few days.

Another thing is that when i load up a game (this is the most annoying thing) the lag occurs. But when i hit Ctrl-Esc to minimize the game for a while, the lag becomes overbearing. I ussually do this to check my IM or Itunes while i play the game (Rise of Nations) never had problem doing this before. Now, when i do this, the sound effect of the game lags! So say when i ussually need to here "Thump" i would here "Thu-Thu-Thu-Thump".

Another thing that i used to do is leave itunes play in the background, since i prefer that msuic than the in game music. NOW if i try that, the game lags like crazy, and so does the music!

Its the most annoying thing i have ever experience in a Laptop.

After about 5 minutes of playing through the lag, the game re-stabalizes, but if i minimize the game again, it starts dpoing the lag again.

So thats the symptoms. On an average the pc doesnt lag, only when i make accdess to a process (i.e open a program).

I have checked online for solutions and the closest thing i found was something about Virtual Memory Lag, but nothing they said there helped. I am so lost... i am contemplating reformat, but i have never done that before and would like to only do that as a last resort.

Pls help... pleasei would greatly appreciate it, so much as to put a link to this website on my company's site if you can help me fix! heheh (well i am gonna put a link anyway, cause this site is so rich with info).

Thanks guys, pls respons soon with any advice you may have or any more info you need.

Sounds to me like you're running out of memory. Before playing a game, try restarting, and then running the game. When you restart or shut down, the memory gets cleared completely, allowing full memory usage upon next reboot.

To give you more options; After that, try increasing the page file. Google it, if you don't know how. If that doesn't work, you can try going into task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and on the Processes tab, right click on some processes and click "Set Priority>Low" on the processes you don't necessarily need when playing a game (ie. Norton Anti-Virus, any firewalls, etc).

Hey man thanks for the reply. Unforutnately, your solution can;t work since it shappens every single time i start up. Even if i was to reboot, once i hit the windows button to minimize my the game lags.

The fact that this is happening lately, and never before, means that there is something wrong. I hope someone could help me identify what could have changed my pc.

Update:
Anybody know if the problem might have to do with Kernel Dump? I was doing research, and found this in my hijacklog:

[KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

This is happenind at startup... maybe this is causing the problem?

Well i fixed it with hijack... will restart and see if it works.

Repairing the kernel didnt do jack fricking $%#^. Man i am getting pretty fustrated. Very close to reformat... but i'll see if more people can come with other advice. Thanks so farfor evetything snakeeyes.

FOUND THE SOLUTION OMFG!@!!! yahoo... wow guys you would never believe what it is.

It was frikkin gay *** windows doing crap. Apprently windows reset my Hard Drive IDE drivers to a settings called PIO, which is a super duper slow ssettings. Basically i found a guide that showed me how to totally fix the problem!

I have a link to the guide for anyone that might have experience a laggy PC!

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ninjaduck/itserviceduck/udma_fix/

A great comprehensive guide on solving the problem.

Apparently the kernel error was a clue. When the blue screen of death happen, that problably when the PIO settings changed.

Thanks for the help guys, bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom