Weird Online Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancalime

Baseband Member
Hey I have this very weird problem where my internet connection would drop at about the same time every day (around 10:00 PM). Very strange indeed. Sometimes when I shut off or turn on the PC, it shows an error message saying that there is an IP address conflict in the network. My network only consists of my cable modem with an ethernet cable to the router which connects to this PC and my PS3, both through ethernet cables. I have no idea what is wrong and it is very very frustrating. I plan to connect an additional computer once school resumes for the kids (next Tuesday) and am very worried that this problem will still persist. It has been going on for at least a week now but I have had internet troubles forvever now.

There is also a very weird problem where whenever my connection is dropped and I restart, Windows sometimes has trouble starting and I have to power down again. I don't see the relationship either.

Anyone have any suggestions? The modem is a motorola surfboard cable modem, the router is a Linksys WRT54G and I am connected to the Nvidia Networking Controller on the PC.

Thanks in advance.

As far as the network going down at 10, not sure , might be a trojan on the pc ...or ?
click start
click run
type in ncpa.cpl
hit enter
highlight your internet connection
right click , click props
scroll down to tcp/ip
click props.
make sure that the radio button "obtain auto" for both tcp ip and dns is selected

outside of that, i do not know
how does the pc run in general, sluggish ?

LA1 said:
As far as the network going down at 10, not sure , might be a trojan on the pc ...or ?
click start
click run
type in ncpa.cpl
hit enter
highlight your internet connection
right click , click props
scroll down to tcp/ip
click props.
make sure that the radio button "obtain auto" for both tcp ip and dns is selected

outside of that, i do not know
how does the pc run in general, sluggish ?

they are both on auto. I have AVG scan the system and no virus was detected. The PC is very fast, just the internet blows. I have seen the internet on the PS3 drop on occasion too. Do you think it is the router?

I said trojan you said virus ?

Duno, every router i have ever seen has a status page that will tell you if you are connected or not. I kind of doubt it is the router unless there is a config in the router to drop the wan connection at a certain time. Try resetting the router or looking to see if you are still connected on the wan side.
NOTE resetting you may lose your isp and other settings.

Do an ipconfig /all and see when your IP lease expires. (10:00?) Or they could just be working on the network.
Try statically assigning IP's from the router to the 2 devices and see if that changes things.

sostechs said:
Do an ipconfig /all and see when your IP lease expires. (10:00?) Or they could just be working on the network.
Try statically assigning IP's from the router to the 2 devices and see if that changes things.

Never mind the 10:00 PM thing, it just dropped again this morning. I will try to set up static addresses and see what happens thanks.

T1junkie said:
What type of router do you have?

Post the Make Model # and Revision if applicable

I have the Linksys WRT54G Version 5. I already updated the firmware on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom