8800GTS Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehBestEver

In Runtime
I have the 8800 GTS from EVGA at stock settings (haven't overclocked yet). Is it normal to have 74 degrees Celsius at Idle? I've read people have it usually around the mid to lower 60s. So how can I cool this card? I really want to overclock but am discouraged at my current idle temp. I saw this on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835888602&name=Item-#:-N82E16835888602

It looks somewhat cheap but I don't have a whole lot of money after buying this graphics card. So are there cheap fixes that don't involve a super loud fan? I've thought about increasing the fan on the actual video card using nTune but don't want to deal with a constantly loud fan. I'll buy a new case in the future to solve all my cooling needs but in the mean time I'm keeping the one I have now. So, again, are there any cheap, quiet fixes to make my temps decrease? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not really, the G80 cards are very powerful cards, and do chuck out heat! What are the temperatures while under load? With Rivatuner, you can change the speed of the fan while at 2D mode to about 60% which should keep it cooler, and change it to 100% while in 3D mode.

Check the temperatures that are coming out the back of the card, if they are hot, then its good, but if they are cool, then I would send the card back, as it would seem there is a problem to how the heatsink is monted and is contacting the die. Post back with load and how hot the air out the back is!

Ruan

Okay, there is heat coming out of the back of the card so there's no issue there. I bought a little fan made by Antec. Here it is on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835209017
It seems to work but isn't really cooling the card. I'll try repositioning it and maybe I'll get it to finally cool this card. I thought of increasing the card's actual fan speeds but I don't want it to get too loud. But if I have to I will.

well just try increacing the fan speeds, and see if the difference it makes merits the extra volume..

isnt there a waterblock that works with the 8800? I thought it used the same config as the 7800s or soemthing..

I highly doubt he wants to get into w/c. I say just get a $30 zalman cooler. then on your side panel cut a hole that you can put a 80mm fan in to blow cool air on your gpu cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom