That time of the year again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
For me to put $500 into my computer. I like to upgrade once yearly, and I figure now's a great time, considering I have the money now haha.

See, I was quite content with my rig, plays quake 4 and other games juuuuuuuust fine.

But just this week, I bought GTR2, (probably the best racing game I've ever played). And noticed with everything turned on high, when other cars are around me and I'm by the grand stands, I get 20-30fps max. Sometimes even down to 10.

Plus I'm really looking forward to Crysis and UT2007. I know these won't be out for awhile though.

So, I could get a 8800GTS, but I'm wondering if I should wait to see the next batch of DX10 cards first. Because I'm not down with dumping $450 into a video card and having a new card come out a few months later that blows my card out of the water for the same price.

Any suggestions or comments? Anybody heard much about the next batch of DX10 cards?

EDIT: Ha, I suppose I should post my system specs-

ASUS A8N32(i think) sli
7800gt
AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.6ghz
OCZ platinum 1.5gigs
gigabyte 3d-rocket pro heatsink
XFI Xtreme music

TheOtis said:
but I'm wondering if I should wait to see the next batch of DX10 cards first. Because I'm not down with dumping $450 into a video card and having a new card come out a few months later that blows my card out of the water for the same price.

It will always be like that. If you wait and buy the next DX10 card, a few months later something will be released that blows it out of the water.

Re: Re: That time of the year again

TheMajor said:
It will always be like that. If you wait and buy the next DX10 card, a few months later something will be released that blows it out of the water.

Yea, I guees this does hold true. I should of been more specific. What I should of ment was, with Dx10. Since it's brand new and everything. I ment a card that may come out that works better with DX10 then the 8800 series. If that makes any sense at all.

Re: Re: Re: That time of the year again

TheOtis said:
Yea, I guees this does hold true. I should of been more specific. What I should of ment was, with Dx10. Since it's brand new and everything. I ment a card that may come out that works better with DX10 then the 8800 series. If that makes any sense at all.

Probably yes; It's mostly better not to go with the first releases. But don't wait 'till your death, either.

Haha ya.

Well, thanks alot for the advice.

I would wait until later to get a video card, especially since DX10 games wont be out for quite awhile, but I am in need of a new one. I have the money now, and I would get a 7950gt, but, if I'm going to spend the money, I might as well get a DX10 card that'l last me a bit longer.

Aslong as the 8800gts will alow me to play current games smoother(which I know it will), and play UT2007 on medium-high settings, then I'll grab one while I can.

The only problem with that extra 512 is im runnin 2x 512 and 2x256's.

and the OCZ platinum DDR400 is hard to come by now days.

I think ill get the 8800gts and, get a pair of 2x 1gigs, and give my old memory to my parents, becasue its still kickass memory.

EDIT: fade2black, are you pretty happy with your 8800gts? or is that a dumb question haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom