Is my CPU causing a bottleneck or is my agp slot possibly a lil messed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxdes

Beta member
Ok I just bought a 7600GS AGP card. I am running a p4s800d-x asus board with a P4 2.4 400fsb and a gig of corsair ram. Now I installed the 7600gs and am getting crappy frame rates in CS:S all the way to 20 FPS in firefights with like 7 people on each team. Plugged in old card again and now I am getting crappy FPS there too (radeon 9550). I'm wondering if maybe my cpu or agp is messed up or dying. Maybe the cpu is so old it is now causing a bottleneck? I've upgraded my PSU to a 550 and have nothing but the HD, MOBO and vid card plugged in.

I do know that sis and nviia have some issues but that wouldn't explain why my other card now gives the same results.....
Any ideas?

how much stuff is actually installed on your system, also are you using the drivers from xp or the most updated nvidia drivers

I'm now using hacked drivers, but I have tried a format and reinstall of windows, new drivers, old drivers, new GP Gart drivers, basically everything. Anything software related I have switched out or changed to no good outcome. It has to be hardware.

ok, Just the windows drivers for video cards are crap, an you are better off going to nvidia and getting the new updated drivers,
If a format and the new drivers didnt work, then you need to check the graphics card in a different computer, with updated drivers, and if its the same problem then contact the company you bought it off, if it works fine then test your processor, cause with an fsb of 400 its bout time you upgraded anyway

Well the radeon card did the same thing in it suddenly, so I went ahead and bought a new CPU. I've noticed that without a lot of people or fighting on my screen in CS:S I get alsmost 75-80 fps, but soon as anyone else is on it (3-4 players at once) I get terrible fps like in the 15-20 range. Since CS:S is so CPU intensive I'm thinking my CPU needs to be replaced. I bought a 3.0 HT 800fsb and it should arrive on the second of jan. Thanks for your help.

It does. In fact that is why I bought it. It was usable for my old CPU and supports the newer 800fsb/HT cpu's also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom