Another PC build...what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlagreca

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, I've planned out a new, relatively high performance PC for myself to play some of the soon to be released games on the market, but I thought it would be a good idea to see what you all thought before I place my order. The bulk of it is below, so feel free to critique and let me know if I goofed up somewhere, or if you recommend something else in place of a part I have listed below! I also had some questions that maybe some of you would be able to clear up for me. Thanks in advance. :D

New prospective build! :cool: (EDIT: Now with LINKS!)

-GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor

-G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 RAM

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

-eVGA GeForce 8800GTS

-Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SB0610 7.1 Sound Card

-ENERMAX ECA3052B Black SECC ATX Case

-HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply (Modular Cables)

All that together, plus a Zalman CNPS9500 CPU cooler, a couple of 12cm case fans, a UPS, mouse, DVD Burner , and wireless card is going to run me about $1,600 US. I don't really have a concrete budget, but I'd rather not spend much more...

Originally I had the e6600 Core 2 Duo in place of the e6400, but from what I've read, there's only small percentage in increase in performance between the two. Is that a legit claim on the performance difference? (I plan to overclock).

Also, running a (most likely) overclocked GeForce 8800GTS in my rig is going to produce a good amount of excess heat. This case, has room for 2 12cm fans, and a mega 25cm fan on the side of the case. I plan on having them all in there (Front/Side = intake, Back = exhaust). Will that suffice for cooling, or should I look around a bit more? Reason I chose the case was because it wasn't too flashy (going to have it up at college, rather it not be a tempation for theft ;), and it's not too heavy, since I'll be moving it around a lot from time to time). Any reccomendations for a case of the same size with better cooling options?

Ah, I'll probably have more questions, but that will do it for now. I wish I discovered this forum sooner. I've been building PC's since I was in 8th grade in 2000 (and from what I knew then, it was PURE luck that they actually worked :eek:). But any imput you have will be a big help, thanks!

That looks like an awesome system to me. I kinda suggest getting a full tower, because those graphic cards are huge. But I know the GTS is a bit smaller than the GTX.

Get the full tower anyway, you'll be ready for a possible upgrade later on anyway.

is 580Watts going to be enough?

It's not necessarily about the watts. Whats important is the amps on the 12V rails. The 8800GTS requires a minimum of 400W with 26 amps on its 12vrails, and the HIPER has I think 38 amps. So it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom