Help me monitor my network activity PLEASE :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sup2jzgte05

In Runtime
I think this is in the right place, but I could be wrong. If there is a better spot for this please mods could you move it?

Ok now this maybe against the rules, but I dont think so.

I have 5 and sometimes 7 PC's running on my network at a time and just recently I walked into the den and noticed a family friend snooping around a few sites that he should not have been, not to mention he was taking info on my parents business that was in a locked folder. He hacked the password to get in, so needless to say he is no longer a "friend".

So my question is, what can I do to monitor this from happening again? The only Pc that outsiders dont have access to is my laptops and my desktop. What I would like to do is be able to monitor EVERYTHING that happens on each PC from my computers. Another thing that I found VERY strange is on a few of the other PC's all the cookies have been erased along with the history . On 2 of them someone went as far as to reformat everything.

I have no clue who to trust anymore so I want to keep my friends close and my enemies MUCH closer. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

The red flag I saw when I read this was, how did he get their passwords ? then i thought , keylogger . Is this x friend a computer wizzard ? I would google key loggers on the net. Do you have the free zone alarm or the pro version. The free one has leaks. go here they have a firewall test + look around they also have others + afirewall leak test. Start tonight reading all you can find about pc security, someone can tell you do this or that but it is much better to know for yourself.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I am in the process my self of learning pc security, even with a firewall I have a hunch that an experienced hacker can get in on port 80 with all your internet, maybe not , I will know soon. or maybe port 25 / 110 if you have pop email.

Yeah I have been researching for hours now. He used to work for IBM in Network admin, I have no clue what his exact job was, but he is extremely good with PC's.

My initial response would be to PREVNET people from using the PC's by putting a username / password on them all, and keeping them LOCKED. If friends, etc. want to use internet, limit that activity to ONE host, and make sure that it has no access to the rest of the PC's on the network.

If they guy has installed a back door in to your computers or has a key logger installed , user names or passwords will make little difference.
You can use policy or group policy to limit acces to pc's like for certain users , they can not install programs, can not remove programs, can remove ie from the desktop ...etc

the downside is there is a local group policy on your computer, setting it effects ALL that log on. I think and i say think, there is software taht you can set the group policy for each log on user.

What I have is win 2003 server, i have group policy set for each user that logs on. When my nephew comes to visit and logs on , he can just surf the net, he can not DL, Install or run programs, when my Mom logs on she has free access to anything. I did it that way cause i got tired of cleaning the spyware off the pc after my nephew vivisted. If likes pc's that take 15 minute to boot into / shutdown in windows ( and theirs does ) that is their business. Not mine. Sorry kind of digressed there. Anyway even if you did this and there is a back door they still can hack over the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom