20.1 in. 5ms monitor or Z-5500s...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
Hi, I'm in the middle of a conflict right now. I just built a great rig, and it is getting held back by both my monitor and speakers.

Gigabye DS3 965p
Core 2 Duo e6600
Sapphire x1950PRO 256mb
X-Fi Xtrememusic
2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-800

Now check this, I am using a 15 inch. SVA LCD with a sad 400:1 contrast ratio at 1024x768. Also, I'm using 3 year old Altec Lansing 5.1s with a half-blown sub that distorts like a mother when turned up more than 1/3. Sad eh?

So what should I upgrade first? The monitor or speakers? Here is what I'm looking at as far as that goes:

SCEPTRE X20WG-Naga Black 20.1" 5ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

$240

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112006

That seems like a very impressive deal for a monitor for me. Alot of the competing products can be at least $50 more. That price by the way is already borderlining my budget. I really want a widescreen for about that price. Also, could my x1950 keep up with 1680x1050 on BF2142 and games similar to that? I'll replace the vid card this summer, so I don't expect a ton out of my card.

And then, there's speakers:

Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 5-Piece Speaker System with Subwoofer $289

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Digi...r_1/105-6239460-1386037?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

I'd have to get these from Amazon because I've never heard of any of the other retailers that carry these. Newegg is always sold out! :mad:

Heres the big thing: If I get one thing, I won't be able to get the other thing for a couple months. I only work saturdays since I'm in high school. And I'll be looking to buy a Logitec G5 and a G15 before I get the second big thing. Thanks for your help on telling me what to get first.

go for the monitor.... z-5500's are awesome.. but i would hate to be stuck on on 1024x768

and as for keeping up with 1680x1050, i wouldnt be set on full blast AA, but you should be able to handle it just fine, i once had an x1950 pro, and it treated me very nicely

Alright dude that's cool. I see what you mean, it's scary to think that my school computers display higher resolutions than my $1500 tower lmao. Not that those Dells can run games or anything, but still. Does that look like an ok monitor to you? Or is there a better deal out there?

That's a tough decision.... but only working saturdays because you're in high school is a LAME excuse. I worked 25-30 hours a week and carried a good gpa, even though high school is a piece of cake.... If school isn't your strong point, sorry, but working saturdays only just seems lazy. Get more hours and you'll get to enjoy more toys, it's well worth the trade. Work as much as you can before you go to college so then you can enjoy all the toys you previously bought, that's what I did and it's working out great! I say you should get the z-5500's first because their price hasn't dropped in 3 years (I bought mine 3 years ago from amazon and they were actually a little cheaper). Then, once you have the money for the monitor, I would suggest a chimei 22", unless you're really set on the 20.1 (both run at 1680x1050).

EDIT: I see you call yourself an audiophile...this should be a hands down decision then!

No I'm afraid I'm just going to stick with 8-hour Saturdays and holidays (such as winter break, spring break) and then all summer. I have my own things I like doing during the week. And there's nothing worse than getting an essay that is due the next day, only to remember that you have to work that night until 11pm. I am no genious either. I usually just make all Bs and an A here and there and stay out of trouble hehe.

Edit: Well I am an audiophile sort of. My car has a nice system, so it won't kill me to hold off on speakers. I'm thinking it's a good idea to hold off on speakers for now, because I know my parents won't let me get away with blasting Z-5500s while they are home. They are usually out during the day in the summer, so I think I'll have more fun with a monitor first.

RalliArt882 said:
No I'm afraid I'm just going to stick with 8-hour Saturdays and holidays (such as winter break, spring break) and then all summer. I have my own things I like doing during the week. And there's nothing worse than getting an essay that is due the next day, only to remember that you have to work that night until 11pm. I am no genious either. I usually just make all Bs and an A here and there and stay out of trouble hehe.

Edit: Well I am an audiophile sort of. My car has a nice system, so it won't kill me to hold off on speakers. I'm thinking it's a good idea to hold off on speakers for now, because I know my parents won't let me get away with blasting Z-5500s while they are home. They are usually out during the day in the summer, so I think I'll have more fun with a monitor first.

Working an 8 hour shift isn't even that bad... I had my own things to do during the week as well. I worked at Walgreens, shifts would start right after school at 3:30, then I would usually work til 10:30 or 11, of course it helped that I rarely went to bed before 12:30. I'm just trying to give you some tips on how to have money to buy the things you want and you'll still have plenty of time to enjoy what you bought..

yah i would go with the monitor

And also dont say anything till u pull an 19 hour shift on the 4th of July in the rain and heat with no breaks cause the ride you are manning has had a 3 hour wait since the beginning of the day.And Generators and the winches are failing because of how long they have been used. So we are always swapping out genrators and winches and they ain't light.
yup thats right 5 am to 12 pm at night

Do you know how many times me and my friends climbed 20 ft in the air to release a person stuck at the top of the bungee because the winch got stuck.

on top of all this its a multi million dollar event your under stress because the whole warehouse full of rides have to be set up in the shortest time frame u have ever had to work with and with the most rides you ever had to set up and you are under staffed.

to have your friends have heat stroke right in front of you because of how hot it is! that job was a pain in the *** but it had its good points that made the job fun.

by the way i am 16 years old and now i know i can do hard labor but i want a desk job lol.Pay was great though i made enough money to blow 6k on parting but now i wish i saved during the summer but that was the greatest summer i don't remember EVER :)

Look here!

I'd have to get these from Amazon because I've never heard of any of the other retailers that carry these. Newegg is always sold out!

Go to www.dell.com

They have those speakers for a great price and take a look at their monitors.

I'm telling you, by far, dell has the best monitors out there right now. Its 20.1 Widescreen comes with a 9-in 2 mutlicard reader, not to mention its awesome quality. And..its not extremely expensive.

Check it out. I'm buying both a monitor and those speakers from Dell. Couldnt find a better bargain.

Good luck.

Re: Look here!

Kohkane said:
Go to www.dell.com

They have those speakers for a great price and take a look at their monitors.

I'm telling you, by far, dell has the best monitors out there right now. Its 20.1 Widescreen comes with a 9-in 2 mutlicard reader, not to mention its awesome quality. And..its not extremely expensive.

Check it out. I'm buying both a monitor and those speakers from Dell. Couldnt find a better bargain.

Good luck.

Chimei is currently making dell's LCD screens for them.

get the screen, alot of games dont support 16:9 ratio, but they will and even if they don't it still looks swweeet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom